Meet with your academic advisor to discuss whether studying abroad would be best for your academic major and career path. Think about the timing, summer versus a semester, and how you can stay on track for your anticipated graduation date. Use your Degree Audit as a guide to determine which courses you would like to take abroad. We recommend that Textiles students save at least 2-3 GEP courses and 2-3 major electives to take abroad.
Students should begin their study abroad journey by watching the Study Abroad 101 videos at least one week before the application deadline. Study Abroad 101 is intended to help students set goals for study abroad, consider the various program types, understand the financial resources, and get started on an application.
After watching the Study Abroad 101 videos, an Advising Application will be created for you on PackAbroad.
You can view Study Abroad 101 videos at go.ncsu.edu/studyabroad101.
Begin your search by exploring featured Textiles-related programs on Wilson College’s Semester Programs and Summer Programs pages. These pages highlight some of the most popular universities that Wilson College students have attended.
Note: The universities listed are not the only options for Wilson College students. To explore programs not highlighted on our website, utilize the Program Search page on the Study Abroad Office’s website to find out specific information about study abroad options at different schools and in different countries.
Here are some factors to consider when researching and comparing programs:
- What do you want to learn abroad?
- Where do you want to explore?
- What type of classes do you want to take?
- What skills would you like to develop?
- Where do you want to live?
- How much does it cost?
- What are local transportation options?
- What season will it be when you are studying abroad?
The program specific application includes essays, recommendations, transcripts, etc. All of these materials will be submitted through the PackAbroad application. Specific questions about your application should be directed to the Study Abroad Office.
- Tip: Two recommendations are required to apply to study abroad. One of the recommendations must be a faculty member you have had for a class at NC State. The recommendation is not a letter; instead, the individual completing the recommendation will receive an email from the Study Abroad Office with a survey to complete on your behalf. Be sure to provide your recommenders enough time to complete the recommendations before the deadline. Don’t expect they will be able to complete it at the last minute.
Begin by reviewing information about credits abroad; there are different types of credits offered through different study abroad programs and some international institutions have different systems for evaluating credit hours. You are required to complete a Course Pre-Approval Form , which will be reviewed and signed by Wilson College advisors, as part of your application. This form ensures your host university offers appropriate classes you need to transfer to NC State and count toward your degree requirements.
Download a printable PDF version of the Course Approval Form.
- Consult your Degree Audit to identify potential degree requirements or courses that you would like to complete while studying abroad. We recommend most Textiles students take a combination of GEP courses and advised electives during their time abroad, but there may be some other degree requirements that are offered at other institutions.
- Review the Wilson College of Textiles Study Abroad Transfer Database to see a list of previously approved courses from your intended institution. This database is a compilation of courses that previous study abroad students have had approved.
- Any courses that are not listed in the database will need to be submitted for review and approval. Use this form to submit Textiles courses for review.
- Note: If you are requesting review for courses that are not Textiles courses, you will need to reach out to the department of record for them to review the course(s). Contact information for each college is listed on the Course Pre-Approval Form.
Ex: If you are requesting to take a BUS class equivalent, it would need to be reviewed by the Poole College of Management.
- Submit your completed Course Approval Form to Meggie Metcalf (students last name, A-L) or Heather Lyerly (students last name, M-Z).
- ACSS staff will notify you via email when the Course Pre-Approval Form is approved and submitted to the Study Abroad Office. The approval process can take up to 10-14 business days, so plan to submit your form well in advance of the application deadline.
- After the Study Abroad Office receives your Course Pre-Approval Form, your PackAbroad application will be updated to show this item as “checked off.” The form will also be added to your application as a PDF.
Tips for Completing your Course Pre-Approval Form:
- List 7-8 courses in case some are not approved, get cancelled, are full upon registration, etc.
- Include a variety of courses on your form – GEP’s, major requirements, major electives, minor requirements.
- Courses toward a non-Textiles major or minor must be approved by that specific department.
- The course pre-approval form does not guarantee that you will be enrolled in those specific classes at your host institution-some courses may not be offered, are filled, or may conflict with other classes. After you are accepted into your host institution, you will receive specific instructions from them about registering for classes.
- If you need to add courses to your Course Pre-Approval Form after you have arrived at your host institution, email Meggie Metcalf (email@example.com). If you enroll in courses that are not listed on your Course Pre-Approval Form, these courses may not count towards your degree.
- Academic Year – February 1
- Fall Semester – February 1
- Summer Semester – February 15
- Spring Semester – September 15
To read about other relevant deadlines, visit the Study Abroad Office’s “Deadlines” page.