There are many financial resources available for Wilson College of Textiles students to make studying abroad a reality! Typically, students use a combination of resources – financial aid, scholarships, and personal funds – to pay for their international experience.
The NC State Study Abroad Office has many resources available online to learn about these types of funding. To learn more, visit the Study Abroad Office’s website.
Eligible students can apply financial aid towards the cost of any study abroad program if the courses fulfill degree requirements and the student is taking a full course load. To learn more about how financial aid can be used for studying abroad, visit the Study Abroad Office’s Financial Aid webpage. Specific questions about how financial aid can be used should be directed to Michelle Thompson (firstname.lastname@example.org) in the Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid.
There are many opportunities for students to apply to both NC State and non-NC State Scholarships. NC State scholarships for study abroad are managed by the Study Abroad Office. Students must complete a separate scholarship application apart from their program application to be considered for the scholarships.
Note: Applicants only need to complete one application to be considered for all NC State travel awards and study abroad scholarships, including scholarships offered by Wilson College.
The scholarship application cycles are:
- Spring Cycle – Application opens July 23 and closes September 15
- Summer Cycle – Application opens September 25 and closes November 15
- Fall Cycle – Application opens December 2 and closes February 1
In addition to NC State scholarships, students can also apply for scholarships provided by other organizations such as companies, community organizations, and the like. The Study Abroad Office has compiled a list of common non-NC State scholarships which you can view here.
The Fellowship Advising Office (FAO) at NC State helps undergraduate students, graduate students, and alums learn about and apply for awards that can fund opportunities overseas. The office helps students identify potential awards, review applications, practice interviews and much more.
- Engineer Your Experience Program – Funding is available to support Textile Engineering students’ participation in a wide range of experiences to enhance their education, including Study Abroad.
- Wilson College Funding Opportunities – There are grant opportunities within the Wilson College of Textiles to assist with Study Abroad. Past grant programs include the Ellen Rohde Women’s Professional Development Grants and Mansour Global Engagement Grants. Contact ACSS staff for more information about these programs.
- Gilman Scholarship – Administered by the U.S. Department of State, the Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship is a prestigious scholarship program for undergraduate students who receive a Federal Pell Grant. Estimated award amounts are $2,000-8,000 to assist in funding a study or intern abroad program.