Summer at the Lorenzo de’ Medici Institute
Over forty years of experience have made Lorenzo de’ Medici (LdM) one of the most distinctive and well-established study abroad institutions in Europe. Many Wilson College students choose LdM because of the variety of FTM electives this institution offers, as well as it’s proximity to many fashion houses such as Gucci, Ferragamo and the Pitti Palace. Students can choose from different courses in 38 subject areas, which are taught in English.
Note: this summer program is NOT affiliated with the NC State group program sponsored by the University Scholars Program, Italy: History and Italian Studies in Florence.
- Luxury Brand Management (FTM elective)
- Fashion Entrepreneurship (FTM elective)
- Italian Food and Culture: Pairing Food & Wine (GEP)
Germany: Accounting, Finance, and the EU
Through this program, students gain a broad understanding of how business is done from both a financial and accounting perspective. Topics such as the time value of money, risk and return measurement, and corporate income tax are covered. Guest lectures by the world-renowned faculty of the ESB Business School at Reutlingen University bring the international context to these same topics. Students again experience these topics in “real life” by visiting global corporations such as BMW, Hugo Boss, and Stoll.
- ACC 220: Introduction to Managerial Accounting (FTM elective)
- BUS 320: Financial Management (FTM major course)
- M 380: Doing Business in Germany (FTM elective/Business Administration minor course)
Australia: Entrepreneurship & Business Opportunity Analysis in Adelaide
Explore entrepreneurship opportunities in Australia and how entrepreneurs in the U.S. and Australia have similar or differing ideas, perspectives, and outcomes. Known as the “lifestyle capital” of Australia, Adelaide is a great place for students to experience local cuisine, sandy beaches, numerous festivals, cultural museums, and rowdy sporting events. Beyond Adelaide, students have the opportunity to tour Barossa, the wine region of Australia, and Kangaroo Island that showcases the natural beauty of the country’s towering sand dunes, dense bushland, and native animals.
*Note: this program is designed for students who have declared a Business Administration or Business Entrepreneurship minor through the Poole College of Management.
- MIE 310 – Introduction to Entrepreneurship (FTM elective/Business Administration Minor Course/Business Entrepreneurship minor course)
- MIE 410 – Business Opportunity Analysis (FTM elective/Business Entrepreneurship minor course)
- M 380 – Doing Business in Australia (FTM elective/Business Administration minor course)
Argentina: Marketing in Buenos Aires
This Maymester program introduces students to the broad field of marketing while also exploring in depth how marketing and business is done in Argentina. While living and studying in downtown Buenos Aires, students experience the city’s culture, a combination of European inspiration and Latin American heritage, by touring the city’s major sights, participating in tango lessons, and tasting the local cuisine. Beyond Buenos Aires, students learn about the rich cowboy history of rural Argentina by visiting an authentic Argentina estancia (ranch). Students also take a weekend excursion to Mendoza, the wine region of the country to see how marketing is used in these businesses.
*Note: this program is designed for students who have declared a Business Administration minor through the Poole College of Management.
- BUS 360: Marketing Methods (Business Administration minor course)
- M 380: Doing Business in Argentina (FTM Elective/Business Administration minor course)