Andrew Hicks

Andrew HicksAndrew Hicks

Degrees: B.S. Textile and Apparel Management ‘10; Master of Textiles ‘11

Hometown: Raeford, North Carolina

Current City: Greensboro, North Carolina

Profession: Account Manager, International Textile Group

Council Position: Awards Committee Co-Chair

How did the Wilson College of Textiles prepare you for your career?

The Wilson College of Textiles is a special place for me and allowed me to find that unique blend of business and science. I sought this same balance when seeking out a career. The textbook material provided a foundation I still rely on today, from fiber science to material sourcing; above all, the interaction with industry and international travel afforded by the College tremendously prepared me for my journey — both professionally and personally.

What does it mean to be a member of the Dean’s Young Alumni Leadership Council?

I spent countless hours on campus, in the common areas and classrooms, with peers and professors alike. I always felt invested in the College and, likewise, felt the College strongly supported me. Being a member of this Council, I have the special chance to pay it forward, to contribute ideas and actions to aid the young people roaming the same halls I did. Also, it allows me to influence other young alumni to remember their time at the College and what it did for them.

What do you see in the future for the Wilson College of Textiles?

I see a College continuing to thrive on the forefront of an industry. The programs offered by the College will continue to evolve to meet the needs of a rapidly changing global supply chain and marketplace. I foresee a growing imperative for all young people at the College to gain international exposure, and for the College to grow its partnerships with peer institutions everywhere. The textile and apparel complex isn’t going anywhere, and the Wilson College of Textiles will continue to lead the way in preparing its future leaders.