Ashish Kapoor

Ashish KapoorAshish Kapoor

Degree: Ph.D. Fiber & Polymer Science ‘19 (minor in Electrical Engineering)

Hometown: Dharamshala, Himachal Pradesh (India)

Current City: Raleigh, NC

Profession: Research Assistant, Wilson College of Textiles

Council Position: Graduate Student Representative on Communications Committee

How is the Wilson College of Textiles preparing you for your career?

Career success is directly dependent on one’s ability to work in an interdisciplinary team; interest, flexibility and passion to continuously learn new things to stay up to date and competitive; offering new ideas and perspective to one’s team; and leadership quality.

The Wilson College of Textiles has given me interdisciplinary research opportunities in my Ph.D. (as well as) multiple leadership roles and platforms for giving ideas towards a objective. I believe that my Ph.D. journey in the Wilson College of Textiles has strengthened my academic career profile along with extracurricular profile while developing my overall personality.

What does it mean to you to be a member (and graduate student representative) of the Dean’s Young Alumni Leadership Council?

As a graduate student representative of the Dean’s Young Alumni Leadership Council, I feel really honored to be a part of a great alumni network and serving in this role is an opportunity to direct my current efforts in representation, participation and outreach within the College to serve the council’s primary goals which is to support the Wilson College of Textiles and the North Carolina Textile Foundation by fostering relationships between students, alumni and industry partners.

What do you see in the future for the Wilson College of Textiles?

I think the future of the Wilson College of Textiles is bright, exciting and full of surprises. In the coming years, with the induction of new faculty and leaders in various fields, more interdisciplinary research collaboration will flourish, the number of investors will increase and more students will take up leadership roles.