Kyle Blakely

Kyle Blakely

Degrees: B.S. Textile and Apparel Management ‘07 (Entrepreneurship minor)

Hometown: Raleigh, NC

Current City: Clarksville, MD

Profession: Vice President, Materials Innovation at Under Armour, Inc.

Council Position: Recruitment Committee

How did the Wilson College of Textiles prepare you for your career?

The Wilson College of Textiles prepared me for my career in many ways, but the primary impact was their willingness to let me craft and mold my classes and minor to fit my interests. This enabled me to focus on areas I was passionate about that have subsequently helped me the most in my career. This support of entrepreneurial spirit is extremely important to college students and has certainly helped propel me in my profession.

What does it mean to be a member of the Dean’s Young Alumni Leadership Council?

I’m extremely honored to be a member of this distinguished group and see it as a significant opportunity to help re-brand the textile industry and how existing and potential students can participate. We should be attracting the smartest, most creative, most entrepreneurial students high schools have to offer and to do that we need to do a better job of articulating the type of opportunities in the industry as well as the depth and reach textiles have globally.

What do you see in the future for the Wilson College of Textiles?

I expect the Wilson College of Textiles to be on the forefront of many industry initiatives such as virtualization, sustainability, and human performance.  The industry is at a crossroads on many fronts and the College is in a unique position to drive many of the conversations — perhaps we can through this Council. We, as a College, should be driving.