Molly Hanes

Molly Hanes

Degree: B.S. Textile Technology ‘11

Hometown: Glendale Springs, North Carolina

Current City: Raleigh, North Carolina

Profession: Public Defender with the Wake County Justice Center

Council Position: Communications Committee

How did the Wilson College of Textiles prepare you for your career?

The Wilson College of Textiles prepared me for my career by training me up professionally. Being a student at the College means you get the opportunity to communicate not only with your professors and peers, but also with industry leaders. I was treated with respect — as a colleague — by my professors, and that gave me the self-confidence I needed to succeed as an attorney. I deal with clients, I deal with other lawyers, I deal with prosecutors and I deal with judges. Many different personality types are present within that group; the Wilson College of Textiles helped prepare my communication skills to propel myself forward in an environment where people are paid to disagree.

What does it mean to be a member of the Dean’s Young Alumni Leadership Council?

I am honored to serve on this Council and to give back to NC State. As a Centennial scholar, I had so many opportunities placed in my lap; I remember thinking, “I’ve got to do something for them, too.” Just like I did when I was in college, I consider myself a steward of the College, and sing its praises everywhere I go. Interestingly, this exchange usually starts with someone complimenting all the wonderful things they hear about both NC State and the Wilson College of Textiles, so being a steward is not really a difficult job —  it comes naturally. I am pleased to consider the other incredible council members my peers and colleagues, and look forward to helping the group achieve both the short and long term goals we set.

What do you see in the future for the Wilson College of Textiles?

I wish to see continued dedication from fine young people in the future of the Wilson College of Textiles. I wish to see the enthusiastic “vibe” continue from the students (be it through in-person visits, social media posts or enthusiasm for fashion shows, extracurricular activities, etc.). I wish to see the College continue to grow and maintain its reputation as the best in the world.