Rede Wilson

Rede Wilson

Degree: Polymer and Color Chemistry ‘16

Hometown: High Point, North Carolina

Current City: High Point, North Carolina

Profession: Technical Sales Representative at Piedmont Chemical Industries

Council Position: Development Committee

How did the Wilson College of Textiles prepare you for your career?

The Wilson College of Textiles taught me the fundamentals of textile wet processing that I use on an everyday basis to help our customers. I learned everything from dye/fiber interaction to finishing fundamentals to fabric construction at the Wilson College of Textiles. If I had chosen a non-textile related degree field (general chemistry, for example), I would have been totally unprepared for and overwhelmed by my job.

What does it mean to be a member of the Dean’s Young Alumni Leadership Council?

Being a member of the council is an absolute honor because it is a great way to continue a meaningful relationship with the College after graduation.  In addition to staying in touch with the College, it’s been great to meet my fellow council members and learn more about them and their careers in the textile industry and elsewhere.  We have a worthwhile mission, and I’m confident the council will be able to continue to improve young alumni engagement as we go forward.

What do you see in the future for the Wilson College of Textiles?

The Wilson College of Textiles has a bright future. As the United States textile industry continues to recover and grow, the Wilson College of Textiles will have a pivotal role in meeting demand for a talented textiles workforce.  I have no doubt that the College will rise to the occasion and continue to be the premier textiles education institution in the world.