Zain Khan

Zain Khan

Degrees: B.S. Textile Technology ‘10; Master of Textiles ‘16 (also MBA from Wake Forest University ‘17)

Hometown: Cary, NC

Current City: Charlotte, NC

Profession: Director of Automotive Group, Stein Fibers

Council Position: Fundraising Liaison

How did the Wilson College of Textiles prepare you for your career?

The Wilson College of Textiles did an excellent job preparing me for the industry. My course curriculum was geared towards technical, practical and real-world applications. My professors instilled the value of hard work, attention to detail and critical thinking. During my time at the college, I was fortunate to be able to attend networking events and seminars with industry professionals. The transition from college to the workplace was smooth due to the foundation I was given by the faculty, staff and my peers at the Wilson College of Textiles.

What does it mean to be a member of the Dean’s Young Alumni Leadership Council?

As an undergraduate student at NC State, I bled red and white. Eight years after graduation, nothing has changed. I still bleed red and white. The education I received from NC State was second to none. As an undergraduate student, it’s hard to see the big picture and the overall impact of the college. Upon graduation, I entered the workplace and really began to understand how incredible an education I received and the impact of NC State in the industry. I decided to earn my Master of Textiles to further my knowledge while working full time. So many of the opportunities I have been given in my career have been due to the experiences and skills I gained at NC State. The opportunity to serve on this council and give back to the college is humbling. I want to be able to make an impact and improve the experience for current Wilson College of Textiles students as well the future leaders of our Industry.

What do you see in the future for the Wilson College of Textiles?

Textiles are not just what they used to be; there are many new applications in automotive, geotextiles, and nonwovens. Specifically, in regards to medical needs with COVID-19. We have seen the industry step up to answer the call. I believe the college has the industry connections needed to mold and cater the coursework to meet the needs of the industry. Dr. Hinks has a vision that will lead NC State into the future.