Kalyn Parker

Kalyn Parker '13Kalyn Parker

Degrees: Bachelor of Science in Fashion and Textile Management ‘13

Hometown: Lillington, North Carolina

Current City: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Profession: Merchandise Planner, Anthropologie (URBN)

Council Position: Recruitment Committee Member

How did the Wilson College of Textiles prepare you for your career?

Not only did the Wilson College of Textiles help me land my first job, through the help of the career fair and faculty/alumni mentors, but it laid the foundation for me to jump start my career in corporate retail. The FTM coursework provided me with a well-rounded knowledge of textiles, branding, and merchandising and helped me stand out from my peers as I entered the merchant training program at Belk. (I can recall several instances when I had to explain the difference between a knit and a woven to my fellow trainees!) In addition to the curriculum, I gained invaluable experience through hands-on group projects and case studies that ensured a smooth transition into the workplace and gave me a skill set that continues to help me succeed today.

What does it mean to be a member of the Dean’s Young Alumni Leadership Council?

I am passionate about the Wilson College of Textiles and grateful for the impact it has had on my life and career. I am excited to be a part of the Dean’s Young Alumni Leadership Council and have the to opportunity to give back to the program that has given me so much support. I am looking forward to building upon the relationships I already have with faculty and alumni and creating that same opportunity for students and alumni in the future.

What do you see in the future for the Wilson College of Textiles?

I expect the Wilson College of Textiles to continue to grow and lead the way through innovation. By leveraging industry connections, engaging alumni, and collaborating with diverse brands/companies, the College will uphold its reputation as an industry leader and gain recognition.