Morgan Besterman

Morgan Besterman

Degree: B.S. Textile Technology, Bachelor of Art + Design ’13 (Anni Albers Scholar)

Hometown: Statesville, NC

Current City: Mebane, NC

Profession: Designer, Adidas Kids License, LT Apparel Group

Council Position: TBD

How did the Wilson College of Textiles prepare you for your career?

One of the most formative ways in which the Wilson College of Textiles prepared me for my career was the variety of courses I took as a Textile Technology major. An understanding of dyeing and printing processes, garment construction, fabrics, and the global supply chain are crucial to my role as a children’s apparel designer today. Each season’s collection requires cross-functional collaboration between many departments, including design, sales, and merchandising, just to name a few. The group projects that were so prevalent in the COT taught me how to recognize teammates’ strengths and to identify the steps needed to bring a project to completion by a deadline.

I was encouraged by professors early on to seek out internships so that I could explore various career paths and begin to build my professional identity before graduation day. My summer internships at Ralph Lauren were invaluable in learning how to design products for a variety of markets within a global brand.

What does it mean to be a member of the Dean’s Young Alumni Leadership Council?

Our alumni network has tremendous value, as career paths in the Wilson College of Textiles span a wide variety of industries. I am honored to help carry out the council’s mission to strengthen alumni engagement and relationships with industry leaders. These relationships and partnerships have benefited me in many ways over the past ten years, so I am eager to serve in the council to ensure that future students and alumni may benefit from them as well!

What do you see in the future for the Wilson College of Textiles?

I see the Wilson College of Textiles continuing to meet our industry’s challenges with innovation and leadership. The college’s long standing focus on industry partnerships, research, and creative thinking ensures that its graduates will be able to confidently respond to our world’s demands.