Student Spotlight: Meet Makayla Fields ’21

Makayla Fields ’21

Hometown: Battleboro, NC

Major: Textile Technology

Concentration: Medical Textiles

What are your favorite aspects of the Wilson College of Textiles and why did you choose to attend?

My name is Makayla Fields. I am a transfer student from Nash Community College in Rocky Mount, North Carolina. While attending community college, I received an associate degrees in science and engineering. I have chosen to finish my bachelor’s degree in textile technology at the Wilson College of Textiles due to many excellent reviews from graduates and its overall reputation in the critical area of research. By becoming a textile technology student, I strive to apply my creativity and problem-solving skills to one day be able to make a difference and help improve the lives of people.

What activities are you involved in both on campus and off campus?

While attending North Carolina State University, I have been involved with two student organizations. I am involved with the Native American Student Association (NASA) is an organization that was formed to create a community among Native American students. The organization’s leading goal is to focus on the culture of our ancestors and to promote awareness to others on campus and off-campus. I am also a member of the American Indian Science and Engineering Society (AISES) is an organization that uses recruitment and retention of Native American students, to further develop their education and encourage career placement past college.

What are your professional and/or personal goals after graduation?

My goal after graduation is to find a position that is a good fit for me in which I can excel, as well as an area that would require learning and training. Also, while maintaining a decent job, I’m interested in going back to college to earn a master’s degree in engineering. My main goal is to be successful even if it takes hard work and sacrifice.

“By awarding me this scholarship, I can concentrate on what is important to me, education. Private support and financial generosity have allowed me to be one step closer to my goal. I hope one day I will be able to help other students achieve their goal just as you have helped me.“