Germanee Gerald

Germanee Gerald

Degree: B.S. Fashion Textile Management ‘13

Hometown: Charlotte, NC

Current City: Chesapeake, VA

Profession: CEO, GG&Co Styling Firm

Council Position: TBD

How did the Wilson College of Textiles prepare you for your career?

The Wilson College of Textiles truly shaped me to be the the best version of myself in education, business, and leadership all of which were transferable in my corporate and entrepreneurial endeavors. As a Fashion and Textile Management – Brand Marketing and Management major, classes relied heavily on team work and truly helped me understand the value of collaboration and open-mindedness, setting the precedence to be a great cross functional partner and CEO.

What does it mean to be a member of the Dean’s Young Alumni Leadership Council?

Being provided an opportunity to give back, share experiences, and bridge any gaps between students, faculty, in alumni means a lot to me. When we are doing this effectively, it drives ultimate impact. Setting our students up to be the best for life outside of the university and providing them with opportunities, while keeping admin/faculty abreast on market shift, is paramount in making sure our students and future alumni are set up for success.

What do you see in the future for the Wilson College of Textiles?

I would love to see a more diverse racially and culturally inclusive future for the College of Textiles. Providing diverse communities with more exposure to what COT has to offer students in careers. I’d also love to deepen and expand the connections with corporations outside of North Carolina and it’s current relationships, and what companies are recruiting our students for. As a student, I created, opportunities for myself outside of what the university had to offer; i.e. our relationship with Kohls Corporate only extends exposure to production internships, however, as a brand management and marketing major, internships in marketing or merchandising were more in line with my classroom experiences, noticing this, I negotiated that my second internship experience with Kohls be in Branding and Merchandising. I was also able to secure a position with Gap Inc, which broadened my experiences and perspectives. I think being able to help cultivate these relationships in our network will only help expand COT’s presence and give our students the best.