Jenna Eason

Jenna Eason

Degree: B.S. Textile Technology ’07, B.A.D Art & Design ’07, M.S Textile Technology & Management ‘09

Hometown: Sanford, NC

Current City: Kingsport, TN

Profession: Application Development Scientist, Eastman Chemical Company

Council Position: TBD

How did the Wilson College of Textiles prepare you for your career?

My Wilson College of Textiles education has been the foundation of my success and has contributed directly to my diverse career as an engineer, designer and scientist, but preparation for my career extended far beyond the classroom. I was highly involved in the College as a member and officer in the Student Council and organizations such as Phi Psi Professional Textile fraternity and Kappa Tau Beta Leadership fraternity. I contributed to the development of my peers as a mentor, tutor, teaching assistant and research assistant, and found my passion for coaching through these opportunities. Through Wilson College and my dual College of Design major, I also spent every collegiate summer either fulfilling industry internships or studying abroad, which enabled me to experience the textile industries in Ghana, the Czech Republic, Spain, Italy, Greece, Japan, and Mexico. All of these provided opportunities to hone my global professional and interpersonal skills while growing my industry network.

What does it mean to be a member of the Dean’s Young Alumni Leadership Council?

“The College of Textiles is my home; you all are my family.” These are words from my 2007 Wilson College graduation speech. I carry this sentiment with me today and am confident many other Wilson College of Textiles alumni do as well. Sometimes we just need an extra push, a welcome mat at the door, or the smiling face of an old friend to re-engage and be reminded that family is forever. The Wilson College of Textiles ignited my passion for the textile industry, and I want to keep that fire burning with other young alumni. It is an incredible honor to be a member of the Dean’s Young Alumni Leadership Council and to give back in an engaging manner to the College, the Foundation, the faculty, staff and students who provided me with so many opportunities and to contribute to the world-renowned success of the Wilson College of Textiles and its graduates. Through the DYALC I can show my appreciation and directly impact the future of the College and the textile industry.

What do you see in the future for the Wilson College of Textiles?

The Wilson College of Textiles does an outstanding job of evolving with the global textile industry and student interests. As a part of this journey, I see a future where every graduate enters their career with a comprehensive understanding of the role the textile industry plays in the longevity of a healthy planet. I see an institute that is capable of transforming textile products into sustainable solutions for many of the earth’s environmental hardships, rather than making headlines as the culprit. Whether a designer, merchandiser, engineer, chemist or entrepreneur, Wilson College of Textiles students will continue to receive a world-class education to better serve the textile industry and the planet.