Dr. Seyam has been in the faculty of the Department of Textile and Apparel Management at NC State College of Textiles since 1991. He has also been an Instructor at both Alexandria University and Mansoura University, Egypt, and a Research Engineer for Burlington Industries, North Carolina, and a Project Manager for Valdese Textiles in Valdese, North Carolina.
Dr. Seyam teaches fabric formation and structures at the undergraduate and graduate levels. He teaches short courses and workshops in advanced woven fabric design, nonwovens and new developments in weaving and weaving preparation technologies.
Dr. Seyam has mentored 111 Master and Doctoral students (90 Chair/Co-Chair and 21 member), and 25 international visitors (Post Doc, Visiting Scholars, and Trainees). Dr. Seyam’s effective mentorship and advising has guided his students to reach their full potential and contribute intellectually to their research. He prepares students to be leaders in their fields. His former students, trainees, and visiting scholars are holding high positions in academic institutions, government agencies, and industry in North America, Asia, Europe, Middle East, and South America. Their accomplishments (publications, presentations, patents, product development, etc.) are impressive.
Dr. Seyam has published as co-author with his students and national/international collaborators and as sole author (238 papers: 97 refereed journals, 25 scholarly, 109 conference, 3 books and 4 book chapters) and presented (157 conference and in-plant presentations plus 71 poster presentations) extensively. He authored two user-friendly computer software packages with extensive codes for manufacturing and engineering woven structures for two of his former employers. He is co-inventor of 4 patents in cold weather systems and electrotextiles and filed 12 invention disclosures.
Nanosciences, Surface Modification, Fibers and Polymers, Technical Textiles and Textile Structures, Health and Safety, Educational Innovation
Established Research Areas: Mechanics of Woven Fabrics, Carding Dynamics, Needlepunching Process and Products, Direct Garment Manufacturing using Meltblowing and Robotic Technologies, Smart Electrotextiles, Computer Simulation and Formation of Nonwovens using Electrostatic Field, Applications of MEMS in Textiles, Static Generation/Dissipation on Polymeric and Textiles’ Surfaces, Modeling of the Hydroentanglement Process, Fiber Reinforced Composites from High Performance Fibers and Sustainable Biodegradable Natural Fibers and Resins, Protection of High Performance Fibers from UV, Jacquard Fabrics on Demand, Seamless Shaped Garments and Medical Textiles.
Ph.D., Fiber and Polymer Science, 1985
North Carolina State University, USA
M.S., Textile Engineering, 1978
Alexandria University, Alexandria, Egypt
B.S., Textile Engineering, 1972
Alexandria University, Alexandria, Egypt
- Bogan, K., Seyam, A.M., and Slade, J., Evaluation of the Electrical Integrity of E-Textiles Subjected to Environmental Conditions, JOTI,3. Bogan, K., Seyam, A.M., and Slade, J., Evaluation of the Electrical Integrity of E-Textiles Subjected to Environmental Conditions, JOTI, http://www.tandfonline.com/eprint/hCAaghbXjprSZ3PWeMWk/full , July 10, 2017.
- Seyam, A.M., Monteiro, A.S., Midani, M., and Baruque-Ramos, Effect of structural parameters on the tensile properties of multilayer 3D composites from Tururi palm tree (Manicaria saccifera Gaertn.) fibrous material, Composites Part B, Vol 111, 17-26, 2017.
- Haroglu, D., Powell, N. and Seyam, A.M., A textile-based optical fiber sensor for automotive seat occupancy sensing, JOTI, Vol 108, No 1, 49-57, 2017.
- Hamouda, T., Seyam, A.M., and Peters, K., (2015). Polymer Optical Fibers Integrated Directly into 3D Orthogonal Woven Composites for Sensing. Journal of Smart Materials and Structures , 24 , 1-11.
- Seyam, A.M., Oxenham, W., and Theyson, T. (2015). Antistatic and electrically-conductive finishes for textiles, Chapter in ?Functional Finishes for Textiles: Improving Comfort, Performance and Protection?. . Cambridge, UK : Woodhead Publishing Limited.