After obtaining a Bachelor of Engineering in a 5 year program offering a mixture of engineering and chemistry courses in 1989, Prof. Shamey worked in textile mills (dyeing and finishing industry) for three years in various capacities from process engineer to section manager.
Prof. Shamey obtained a Master of Science degree in Dyeing and Finishing (with Distinction) jointly from the “Colour Chemistry Department” and “School of Textile Industries” of Leeds University in 1993 working on a colour science project under the direction of Dr. James. H. Nobbs at the Colour Chemistry Dept. of Leeds University.
He continued to work with Dr. Nobbs for four years during his PhD program between 1993 and 1997. His work was focused on modelling and real time control of dye concentration in a dyebath. After completing his PhD he worked as a post doctoral research associate at the Colour Chemistry Department of Leeds University on an industrial project sponsored by Unilever between 1997 and 1998.
Prof. Shamey joined Heriot-Watt University in Galashiels (Scotland) in 1998, as Lecturer (Assistant Professor) in Dyeing, Printing and Finishing where he established the Automation and Novel Coloration Research Group. He was nominated for a University wide Excellence in Teaching Award in 2002 and was specially commended.
In 2003, Prof. Shamey joined the TECS Dept. at NCSU and has served as Polymer and Color Chemistry (PCC) program director since 2009.
Prof. Shamey is a Fellow of the Society of Dyers and Colourists and a Chartered Colourist (CCol).
Prof. Shamey was also elected the Academic Secretary of United Kingdom National Postgraduate Committee (NPC) as well as the President of the Postgraduate Representative Council (PGRC) of Leeds University between 1995-1998. He was a state champion in free style Olympic wrestling for several years. He enjoys playing badminton and basketball in his spare time and traveling, learning new languages, and classical guitar.
- Colour Science and Technology
- Color Difference
- Color Perception especially blackness, whiteness, grays, unique hues
- Measurement and analysis of complex colored patterns
Seven PhD and two Masters projects have been completed in these areas. Three PhD projects are currently underway on perception of fluorescent whites, and characterization of color of complex patterns using digital cameras. Other projects involve assessment of color difference formulae and development of visual datasets.
- Computer Applications in Textile Wet Processing
- Expert Systems in Textile Coloration
- Modeling, Simulation & Control of Dyeing
- Automation of Dyeing Process
Six PhD projects have been completed in this field. The current work focuses on the development of expert systems to troubleshoot dyeing/printing problems. Other areas involve the examination of the effect of various parameters in real time on individual dyes in a dye admixture.
- Dye Application and Textile Chemistry
- Dyeing of Polyolefins (Polypropylene, PE)
- The Effect of Colorants on Ageing and Degradation of Fibers
- Chemical Modification of Cellulose
Five PhD projects have been completed in these fields. Works of interest include exploring novel techniques to dye polyolefins, as well as the study of photodegradation of fibers as a result of inclusion of dyes and compounds such as nano TiO2 in fiber.
- Post-doctoral Research Associate, 1998, Leeds University, Unilever, UK.
- PhD, 1997, Leeds University, UK.
Thesis: The Computer Control of Continuous Addition Dyeing of Cotton With Reactive Dyes
- MSc, 1993, Leeds University
Dissertation: Computer Match Prediction For Screen Printed Semi-Opaque Panels
- BSc (Eng.) 1989, Textile Fiber, Chemistry and Engineering, IUT
Undergraduate Courses Taught (in some cases developed)
- PCC 101, Introduction to Polymer and Color Chemistry
- PCC 104 Introduction to Polymer and Color Chemistry, Lab
- PCC 301, Technology of Dyeing and Finishing (PCC majors)
- PCC 304 Technology of Dyeing and Finishing , Lab
- PCC 302, Technology of Textile Wet Processing
- PCC 302 Technology of Textile Wet Processing, Lab
- PCC 350 Introduction to Color Science and Application
- PCC 354 Introduction to Color Science and Application, Lab
- PCC 490, Undergraduate Research Coordinator
- PCC492 (PCC450), Advanced Colorimetry and Color Appearance Models
- TC 705 Theory of Coloration
- TC 706 Color Science
- TC 707 Color Science Laboratory
- Shamey, R., Sawatwarakul, W., & Kuehni, R. G. (2015). Cognitive comparison of unique and intermediate hues. Color Research and Application, 40(3), 264-269.
- Yi, E. J., & Shamey, R. (2015). Cross-cultural comparison of color terms and preference of persimmon-dyed fabric, Galchon. Color Research and Application, 40(6), 592-604.
- Shamey, R., Sawatwarakul, W., & Fu, S. (2015). Does hue affect the perception of grayness?. Color Research and Application, 40(4), 374-382.
- Shamey, R., Zubair, M., & Cheema, H. (2015). Effect of field view size and lighting on unique-hue selection using Natural Color System object colors. Vision Research, 113, 22-32.
- Shamey, R., Lin, J., Sawatwarakul, W., & Cao, R. B. (2014). Evaluation of performance of various color-difference formulae using an experimental black dataset. Color Research and Application, 39(6), 589-598.
- Muhammad Zubair
2017, PhD, Chair, Shamey
Development of a diagnostic expert system for the coloration of blend fibers
- Sonali Mandal
2017, PhD, Chairs: Hauser-Shamey
Colorimetric characteristics of cationized cotton dyed with anionic colorants
- Sajeesh Kulappurath
2017, PhD, Chair, Shamey
Assessment of Texture
- Nian Xiong
2019, PhD,Chair: Shamey
Quality Control of Multicolored Objects Using Imaging Systems
- Daniel Hines
2017, MS, Chair, Shamey
Assessing the role of glare in colorimetric use of cameras
- Jiajun Liu
2019, PhD, Chairs, Chapman- Shamey
Durability of Inkjet Printed Material
- Wu Meiqin
2019, PhD, Co-Chairs, Shamey- Wang
The Use of Multispectral Imaging Systems for Quality Control of Colored Products
- Heekwang Koo
2018, MS, Chair, Shamey
Dermatological Application of Colorants
Postdocs, and Visiting Scholars
- Dr. Yu Lin, Postdoctoral Associate, 2014- Present
- Mr. Zhongjian Li, Visiting Scholar, 2016- Present
- Mr. Chen Zhe, Visiting Scholar, 2016- Present
- Dr. Lin Luo, Postdoctoral Assistant, 2015-2016
- Dr. Juan Lin, Postdoctoral Assistant, 2013-2014
- Ms. Shaungyan Wu, Visiting Scholar, Jiangnan University, China, 2015
- Ms. Jiajun Liu, Visiting Scholar, Wuhan Textile University, China, 2015
- Dr. Eunjou Yi, Visiting Scholar, Jeju National University, Korea, 2012-2013.
- Dr. Yuzheng Lu, Visiting Scholar, Jiangnan University, China, 2012-2013.
- Dr. Khaled El-Tahlawy, Research Associate, 2006-2008
- Dr. Maqbool Hussain, Visiting Scholar, Pakistan, 2008- 2010
- Ms. Merce Alsina Costabella, Visiting Scholar, Spain, Jan 2008- 2008
- Dr. Senthilkmar Muthusamy, Visiting Scholar, India, 2006- 2007
- Mr. Mahmud Elgammal, Visiting Scholar, National Research Center, Egypt, 2008
Undergraduate Research Projects
- Anne MacLean
2014, Threshold determination of “simultaneous contrast” and “spreading”
- Haley Barkely
2013, Development of a perceptually geometric gray scale on polyester woven substrate
- Chris Ohnstad
2013, Effect of certain chemical and mechanical treatments on colorimetric attributes of polyester substrate dyed with disperse dyes
- Sarah Shepherd
2011, Brunescence and Its Influence on Assessment of Small Color Differences.
- Troy Tomassino
2011, Development of a Sample Set around a CIE High Chroma Blue Color Center
- Sarah Jane Simpson
2011, Development of a ‘gray’ hue circle.
- Adam Stegall
2010, Development of a fabric based gray scale for assessment of color change
- Michael Sedito
2007, Determination of unique hue based on Munsell chips
- Hal Walrod
2007, Establishing a translucency index for textiles using translucent compression garments
- Kevin Bullock
2006, Determining the Effect of Relative Humidity, Fabric Structure, and Finishing on Colorimetric Properties of Direct Dyed Cotton Fabrics
- Karmen Cressman Miller
2005, Assessment of large color differences using DigiEye and Datacolor spectrophotometers
- Renbo Cao
Research Scientist, Axalta, USA, 2015, Chair: Shamey
Development of an instrumental technique for quality control of complex colored patterns.
- Weethima Sawatwarakul
Johnston Printing, Thailand, 2014, Chair: Shamey
Development of a diagnostic expert system for coloration of protein fibers.
- Juan Lin
Reiko, USA, 2013, PhD, Chair: Shamey
Factors Affecting the Perception and Measurement of Optically Brightened White Textiles.
- Berdan Kalav
Lecturer, Istanbul Technical University, 2012, PhD, Chairs: Shamey- Dayioglu
Development of a diagnostic expert system for inkjet printing of cotton substrates.
- Gang Fang
Konika Minolta, USA, 2012, PhD, Co-Chairs: Shamey-Hinks
Development of Instrumental Techniques for Color Assessment of Camouflage Patterns.
- J. Reid Clonts
2011, PhD, Co-Chairs: Shamey-Hinks
Perception of Blackness and the Formulation of a Blackness Index
- Mehmet Ozturk
2011, PhD at Istanbul Technical University, Co-Chairs: Shamey-Dayioglu
Optimization & Study of Exhaustion Profiles in the Dyeing of Cotton.
- Changhai Xu
Professor, Jiangnan University, Wuxi, China, 2009, PhD, Co-Chairs: Hinks-Shamey
The Chemistry and Perception of Fluorescent White Textile Materials
- Woo Sub Shim
Research scientist, Korea, 2009, PhD, Co-Chairs: Shamey-Joines
Development of a Diagnostic Expert System for the Dyeing of PolyesterSubstrates
- Lina Maria Cardenas
Assistant Professor, Chile, 2009, PhD, Co-Chairs: Shamey-Hinks,
Evaluation of Variability in Visual Assessment of Small Color Differences
- Kamran Iqbal
Textile Research & Innovation Center, Pakistan, 2008, MS, Chair: Shamey
Development of a visual dataset around a CIE high chroma blue color center.
- Seung Geol Lee
Assistant Professor, Korea, 2007, MS, Co-Chairs: Shamey-Jasper
Assessment of Metrics in Color Spaces
- Reduwan Bilal Shah
Postdoctoral Research Fellow, UK, 2007, PhD, Co-Chairs: Christie-Shamey
The Molecular Design, Synthesis and Application of Photochromic Dyes on Protein Substrates
- Mukesh Kumar Sinha
Assistant Director, defense research labs, India, 2006, PhD, Co-Chairs: Shamey-Christie
An Investigation of the Photodegradation of a Nylon Support Net used in Exhibition of Historic Textiles
- Mr. Mohammad K. Basher
Sales manager, Canada, 2005, MPhil, Co-Chairs: Wardman-Shamey
An Investigation on the Characteristics and Role of Surface Deposits Formed on the Wool Fiber During the Dyeing Process with Metal-Complex Dyes and Minimising Their Formation.
- Syed Iqbal Ahmed
Process Engineer, UK, 2005, PhD, Co-Chairs: Shamey-Mather
Coloration of Polypropylene: Prospects and Challenges
- Xiaoming Zhao
Professor, Tianjin Polytechnic University, China, 2004, PhD, Co-chairs: Shamey-Wardman
Modelling of the Mass Transfer and Fluid Flow in Package Dyeing Machines
- Tanveer Hussain
Dean of Engineering, Pakistan, 2004, PhD, Co-Chairs: Shamey-Wardman
A Knowledge Based Expert System for the Dyeing of Cotton.
Organizations (past and present)
- Editor in Chief, Journal of Textile Science and Engineering
- Fellow, Society of Dyers and Colourists, UK
- President Elect, Inter-Society Color Council ISCC
- Senior Member, American Association of Textile Chemists & Colorists
- Optical Society of America, Member
- Society for Imaging Science and Technology, Member
- Fiber Society, Member
- Colour Group, UK; Member
- The Society for Modeling and Simulation International
- The International Institute of Informatics and Systemics