Xiangwu Zhang is a Professor and the Associate Dean for Research in the College of Textiles at North Carolina State University. He is also an Alumni Distinguished Graduate Professor and an Inaugural University Faculty Scholar at North Carolina State University.
Zhang has published two books, ten book chapters, and more than 200 peer-reviewed journal articles. Zhang has also delivered over 200 presentations in international and national conferences. Zhang’s research interests focus on nanostructured and multifunctional polymer, composite, fiber, and textile materials with an emphasis on practical applications: i) energy storage and conversion, ii) chemical and biological protection, iii) composites, and iv) nanofinishing. His research encompasses both fundamental materials studies such as synthesis and physical characterization, as well as system design and fabrication. Zhang has received over seven million dollars of research funding from the US government, foundation, and industry. Following are examples of recent research projects:
- Lithium-Ion Batteries
- Lithium-Air Batteries
- Lithium-Sulfur Batteries
- Sodium-Ion Batteries
- Fuel Cells
- Chemical and Biological Protection Fabrics
- Nano-Finishing of Textile Fabrics
- Functional Textile Materials
- Advanced Electrospinning Systems
- Advanced Centrifugal Spinning Systems
Research Group Members
Postdoctoral Associate, Department of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering, North Carolina State University, 2002 – 2006
Postdoctoral Associate, Center for Electrochemical Systems and Hydrogen Research, Texas A&M University, 2001 – 2002
Ph.D., Materials Science and Engineering, Zhejiang University, China, 2001
Dissertation: Preparation and Properties of Polymeric Composites Filled with Low-Melting-Point Alloy
B.S., Polymer Materials and Engineering, Zhejiang University, China, 1997
Minor, Computer Science and Engineering, Zhejiang University, China, 1997
- Jiadeng Zhu, Chen Chen, Yao Lu, Yeqian Ge, Han Jiang, Kun Fu, and Xiangwu Zhang, “Nitrogen-Doped Carbon Nanofibers Derived from Polyacrylonitrile for Use as Anode Material in Sodium-Ion Batteries”, Carbon, 94, 189-195 (2015).
- Mahmut Dirican, Ozkan Yildiz, Yao Lu, Xiaomeng Fang, Han Jiang, Huseyin Kizil, and Xiangwu Zhang, “Flexible Binder-Free Silicon/Silica/Carbon Nanofiber Composites as Anode for Lithium-Ion Batteries”, Electrochimica Acta, 169, 52-60 (2015).
- Mahmut Dirican, Yao Lu, Kun Fu, Huseyin Kizil, and Xiangwu Zhang, “SiO2-Confined Silicon/Carbon Nanofiber Composites as an Anode for Lithium-Ion Batteries”, RSC Advances, 5, 34744-34751 (2015).
- Meltem Yanilmaz, Xiangwu Zhang, “Polymethylmethacrylate/Polyacrylonitrile Membranes via Centrifugal Spinning as Separator in Li-Ion Batteries”, Polymers, 7, 629-643 (2015).
- Xiangwu Zhang, “Fundamentals of Fiber Science”, DEStech Publications, Inc., ISBN 978-1-60595-119-5, 2014.”
- Yangguang Chair Professor
- Guest Professor, Zhejiang Sci-Tech University
- Editor-in-Chief, Journal of Energy Storage and Conversion
- Editorial Board Member, Journal of textile Science and Engineering
- Editorial Board Member, Intenational Journal of Nano Science, Nano Engineering and Nanotechnology
- Editorial Board Member, Journal of Membrane Science & Technology
- Editorial Board Member, Global Journal of Physical Chemistry
- Full Member, Sigma Xi, the Scientific Research Society
- Affiliate Member and Textile and Composites Engineering Technical Committee Member, The American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME)
- Active Member, The Electrochemical Society (ECS)
- Full Member, The American Chemical Society (ACS)
- Full Member, Materials Research Society (MRS)
- Full Member, The Fiber Society
- Member, American Association of Textile Chemists and Colorists (AATCC)