Dr. Yingjiao Xu, a native Chinese, is an associate professor in the Department of Textile and Apparel, Technology and Management. She holds a B.S. degree in Textile Engineering from China Textile University (now renamed as Donghua University), a M.S. degree in Textile Merchandising from Renmin University of China, and a M.S. degree in Applied Statistics and a Ph.D. degree in Textiles, Apparel, and Merchandising from Louisiana State University.
Dr. Xu joined the faculty of the College of Textiles in August, 2010. Prior to this, she worked at Ohio University for 10 years, where she taught in the area of Retail Merchandising and conducted research in the area of consumer behavior. While attending graduate school at Renmin University of China in Beijing, Dr. Xu worked part time for several companies, including China International Clothing and Accessories Fair, China National Garment R & D Center, and Beima Trade & Technology Development Company.
Dr. Xu’s research focuses on consumer behavior. She has investigated various types of consumer behaviors, including rational consumer behavior, impulse buying, compulsive buying, and conspicuous consumption, from social, psychological, and cultural perspectives. Her current research projects include: 1) consumer behavior for luxury fashion products; 2) consumer responses to green marketing in the apparel industry; and 3) the role of social media in consumer behavior and in building brand equity for apparel companies.
Ph.D., Human Ecology (Textile, Apparel, and Merchandising), 2000
Louisiana State University
M.S., Applied Statistics, 2000
Louisiana State University
M.S.,Textile, Apparel and Merchandising, 1996
Renmin University of China
B.S.,Textile Engineering, 1993
China Textile University (current name: Dong Hua University)
- FTM382: Intermediate Textile Brand Management and Marketing
- FTM385: Fashion and the Consumer
- TTM585 Market Research in Textiles
- TTM591: Special Studies in Textile: Consumer Behavior
- Giovannini, S. , Xu, Y., and Thomas, J (2015). Luxury fashion consumption and Generation Y consumers: self, brand consciousness, and consumption motivations. Journal of Fashion Marketing and Management , 19 (1) .
- Carroll, K. and Xu, Y. (2015). Shopping and virtual communities for consumers with physical disabilities. International Journal of Consumer Studies .
- Lu, J. & Xu, Y. (2015). Chinese Young Consumers? Brand Loyalty toward Sportswear Products: A Perspective of Self-Congruity. Journal of Product & Brand Management , 24 (4).
- Lu, J. and Xu, Y. (2014). Chinese young consumers? brand loyalty toward sportswear products: a perspective of self-congruity. International Textile and Apparel Association.
- Xu, Y., Cheng, Y., Burman, R. and Zhao, H. (2014). Secondhand clothing consumption: a cross-cultural comparison between American and Chinese young consumers. International Journal of Consumer Studies , 38 (6).