About Pamela Banks-Lee
Pamela Banks-Lee is an associate professor in the department of Textile Engineering, Chemistry and Science in the Wilson College of Textiles at NC State University.
Banks-Lee is the co-author on many scholarly articles involving processing, properties and evaluation of textile materials. Her research focuses on engineered properties such as sound absorption, and thermal resistance of nonwoven fabric structures.
Banks-Lee earned bachelor’s degrees in Applied Mathematics and in Textile Technology, her master’s degree in Textile Marketing and Management and her Ph.D. in Fiber and Polymer Science all from North Carolina State University. She is a member of the Acoustical Society of America and the Fiber Society.
Research interests lie in the area of noise and vibration control in textile machinery, acoustic properties of materials, and material-machine interactions. Special interests are in modification of existing equipment to improve productivity and maintain environmental standards.
Recent efforts include:
- Research in developing models for prediction of fabric acoustic properties.
- Study of fluid flow through nonwoven structures.
- Time related studies on the effects of fabric properties.
- Optimizing processing conditions for microdenier fibers.
- Ph.D. Fiber and Polymer Science, North Carolina State University, 1986
- M.S. Textile Materials and Marketing, North Carolina State University, 1979
- B.S. Textile Technology, North Carolina State University, 1976
- B.S. Applied Mathematics, North Carolina State University, 1976
- Multi-fiber needle-punched nonwoven composites: Effects of heat treatment on sound absorption performance
- Yilmaz, N. D., Powell, N. B., Banks-Lee, P., & Michielsen, S. (2013), Journal of Industrial Textiles, 43(2), 231–246. https://doi.org/10.1177/1528083712452899
- Effects of material and treatment parameters on noise-control performance of compressed three-layered multifiber needle-punched nonwovens
- Yilmaz, N. D., Michielsen, S., Banks-Lee, P., & Powell, N. B. (2012), Journal of Applied Polymer Science, 123(4), 2095–2106. https://doi.org/10.1002/app.34712
- Hemp-fiber based nonwoven composites: effects of alkalization on sound absorption performance
- Yilmaz, N. D., Powell, N. B., Banks-Lee, P., & Michielsen, S. (2012), Fibers and Polymers, 13(7), 915–922. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12221-012-0915-0
- Effects of porosity, fiber size, and layering sequence on sound absorption performance of needle-punched nonwovens
- Yilmaz, N. D., Banks-Lee, P., Powell, N. B., & Michielsen, S. (2011), Journal of Applied Polymer Science, 121(5), 3056–3069. https://doi.org/10.1002/app.33312
- Modeling tortuosity in thin fibrous porous media using computational fluid dynamics
- Vallabh, R., Ducoste, J., Seyam, A. F., & Banks-Leel, P. (2011), Journal of Porous Media, 14(9), 791–804. https://doi.org/10.1615/jpormedia.v14.i9.40
- New approach for determining tortuosity in fibrous porous media
- Vallabh, R., Banks-Lee, P., & Seyam, A. F. (2010), Journal of Engineered Fibers and Fabrics, 5(3), 7–15.
- An innovative wood-fiber composite incorporating nonwoven textile technologies
- Dyk, H., Peralta, P., Peszlen, I., & Banks-Lee, P. (2009), Forest Products Journal, 59(11-12), 11–17. https://doi.org/10.13073/0015-7473-59.11.11
- Determination of radiative thermal conductivity in needlepunched nonwovens
- Vallabh, R., Banks-Lee, P., & Mohammadi, M. (2008), Journal of Engineered Fibers and Fabrics, 3(4), 46–52.
- Physical and mechanical properties of chiengora fibers
- Greer, S., Banks-Lee, P., & Jones, M. (2007), AATCC Review, 7(5), 42–46.
- Evaluating the effectiveness of bifid medical needles for protection from needle-stick injuries
- Banks-Lee, P., Turner, L. D. C., & Seyam, A. M. (2004), Textile Research Journal, 74(2), 101–107. https://doi.org/10.1177/004051750407400203
- The National Textile Center: Hispanic Characterization System (S05-NS-04)
- NCSU National Textile Center Program(4/01/08 - 3/31/09)
- Hispanic Characterization System (HCS)
- NCSU National Textile Center Program(5/01/05 - 4/30/07)