Students in the College of Textiles are fortunate to have available to them the expertise of seasoned industry professionals across all disciplines.
Textile and Apparel, Technology and Management (TATM) – Industry Advisory Board (IAB)
The core TATM Industry Advisory Board was formed in March 2008 and consists of global industry and government executives who want to participate in the vision for the College of Textiles and Industry. The Board meets two (2) times a year (fall, spring).
• connect with Students: interface with industry and government personnel to enhance student and faculty linkages (resources, information, opportunities).
• advise Educators: advise on program direction to strengthen and build program (undergraduate, graduate) offerings. This will include advice on educational programs, identification of education and research opportunities, and support and assistance with business model and funding of the Textile Management Sciences Lab.
• enhance visibility of the FTM Program: board representation includes global industry leaders throughout the supply chain (fiber ->consumer). Recent formation of additional Industry Advisory Networks, located in key global communities will complement the core board and its role.
• visionary Planning: planning for the program including educational and research experiences, TMSL laboratory, and other opportunities. Review the annual Department Strategic Plan, giving advice to the Department Head. Involved are sub-committees: Vision Membership, Textile Management Science Lab and Marketing.
Current IAB members: (seated left to right, standing left to right)
Ellen Rohde, President, The ELR Group, LLC
Wesley Mancini, Wesley Mancini, Ltd.
Mark Messura, Executive Vice President-Global Supply Chain Marketing, Cotton Incorporated*
Nancy Cassill, Professor and Head, TATM
Daniel Montaño Leon, Studio Principal – Retail, Little Diversified Architectural Consulting
Steve Ellington, President and COO, TriVantage, LLC
Dana Hughens, CEO, Clairemont Communications
David Queen, Sr. VP Sourcing and Compliance, Gerber Childrenswear
Les Miller, Chief Operating Officer, American & Efird
Nancy Webster, President, Nancy Webster, LLC
Darryl Carter, Darryl Carter, Inc.
Brendan Sullivan, Vice President, Retail Services, VF Corporation
Matt Priest, President, Footwear Distributers and Retailers of America
Ken Kunberger, Chief Operating Officer – International Textiles Group (ITG)
Jim Booterbaugh,Vice President- Operations, National Spinning Company
Mark Fischer, Senior Vice President – Wholesale Services, Ralph Lauren
Doug Farmer, Technical and Market Development Fellow, Invista (not pictured)
Glenn Jackman, International Business Development Manager, North Carolina Department of Commerce (not pictured)
Alexander Julian, Alexander Julian (not pictured)
Sohan Mangaldas, Global Market Intelligence/Corporate Strategy, Unifi (not pictured)
Larry Marshall, Chief Operating Office, Gitman Neckwear (not pictured)
Ned Munroe, Chief Design Officer Activewear Hanesbrands, Inc. (not pictured)
Chris Pawlus, Senior Global Creative Director Timberland (not pictured)
*Chair of TATM Industry Advisory Board
Textile Engineering, Chemistry and Science (TECS) – Scientific Advisory Board (SAB)
The Scientific Advisory Board (SAB) for the Department of Textile Engineering, Chemistry and Science (TECS) is the official advisory board for the department, comprised of respected leaders in research and business development from a diverse set of industries.
As part of the College of Textiles we are committed to education, research and engagement with the global and local community in all areas of polymer, fiber, textile and coloration technologies including the global textile supply chain. The SAB is charged with:
• strengthening our educational programs for preparing leaders in a wide range of industries,
• reviewing our mission and vision, and honing our strategic plan,
• identifying new research partnering opportunities with industry and governmental agencies,
• developing new opportunities for our students after graduation,
• enhancing visibility and reputation of TECS, globally and locally, and
• setting a path to the future for TECS!
TECS SAB Members
Dr. Harry Chmielewski, Senior Research Scientist, Domtar Corporation
Mr. Jack Daniels, Executive Vice President, AATCC
Mr. Scott Echols, Sustainable Product Research and Discovery Team, Nike
Dr. Margaret Frey, Associate Professor and Director of Graduate Studies in Fiber Science & Apparal Design, Cornell University
Mr. Ryan Heniford, Business Development Director, Secant Medical
Dr. Joseph Hotter, Former R&D Director, Covidien
Dr. Benjamin Martin, Director of Advanced Modeling and Simulation, Hanesbrands Inc.
Dr. Kavita Mathur, Technical Manager, Precision Fabrics Group, Inc.
Mr. Mark McNeil, Corporate Manager of Product Development, Technology and Recycling, Unifi Manufacturing, Inc.
Dr. Thomas Pecorini, Technology Fellow, Eastman Chemical Company
Ms. Diane Phillips, Vice President and General Manager, Battelle Memorial Institute
Dr. Yiping Qiu, Dean of the College of Textiles, Donghua University, Shanghai, China
Dr. James Singletary, Senior Research Associate, DuPont Protection Technologies
Dr. Richard J. Spontak, Alumni Distinguished Professor of Chemical & Biomolecular Engineering and Materials Science & Engineering, NC State University
Dr. Brent Sumerlin, Associate Professor of Chemistry, Center for Macromolecular Science and Engineering, University of Florida
Mr. Mike Tyndall, Vice President of Product Development and Implementation, Cotton Incorporated