Stronger for tomorrow: Donors support Wilson College of Textiles on Day of Giving
Written by Tony Hoppa.
After a year in which time seemingly stood still, 24 hours went by in the blink of an eye March 24 – and by midnight, NC State’s third Day of Giving was in the books. So, too, were 533 gifts – an increase of 45% from 2020 – from generous donors who gave $1,201,160 to support the Wilson College of Textiles. Overall, the University raised $58,103,657, reflecting the indomitable Pack spirit of philanthropy.
“Today, the Wilson College of Textiles is even stronger as a result of the selfless giving demonstrated by our remarkable students, staff, faculty, alumni, parents, donors and friends,” said David Hinks, dean of the college. “I am so grateful for their confidence and investment in our people and programs as we drive momentum in a resurgent textiles industry.”
Among Day of Giving achievements that will directly support the Wilson College mission:
- Meeting two challenges to unlock gifts totaling $350,000 from the Blue Bell Foundation to fund the new Blue Bell Pioneer Scholarship Endowment as part of the Wilson College commitment to serve students of need – and first-generation college attendees – from rural areas of North Carolina
- Garnering strong support for the Centennial Scholarship Program, including a $50,000 challenge gift unlocked by our Centennial Scholar alumni, students and parents and a newly-created Centennial Endowment
- Securing $62,055 for the Dean’s Textiles Innovation Fund
- Raising $12,453 to support the Textile Engineering, Chemistry and Science and Textile Apparel, Technology and Management Enhancement Funds
- Adding $5,218 to the Diversity and Inclusion Fund
- Achieving 100% giving participation among members of the NC Textile Foundation Board of Directors and Dean’s Young Alumni Leadership Council.
Showing its fun side, the Wilson College community also enjoyed friendly competition with other NC State units, winning the Pack Pets and the Don’t Give Up video challenges to add to its fund totals.
“Our team’s theme this year is celebrate,” said Michael Ward, executive director of the North Carolina Textile Foundation. “And with this being our last Day of Giving during the transformative Think and Do the Extraordinary Campaign, I couldn’t be more proud – and grateful – for the generosity shown by our donors. Their deep affinity for Wilson College and the example they set for others through their giving inspires us all.”
For Hinks, this year’s event goes beyond dollars raised. “What a powerful statement we’ve made in such a challenging year,” he said. “Day of Giving not only underscores the lifesaving and life-changing impact of textiles. It reminds us all that NC State and the Wilson College are indeed changing the world. I am so proud to be a member of the Pack!”