Nomination Process for University Faculty Scholar Award
For a 5 year period will carry the title of University Faculty Scholar and will receive a $10,000 per year stipend which may be used for supplemental salary or programmatic support.
The College of Textiles will submit one candidate for the Fall 2016 award period.
Nominations are limited to
- Assistant professors who have been reappointed for a second term
- All associate professors
- Full professors within the first three years of appointment at that rank
- Significant promise or significant achievement in scholarly endeavors, including research, publications and presentations of research in the faculty member’s area of expertise.
- Research promise, as reflected by level of external funding and invited presentations.
- High quality classroom teaching, as reflected by documented excellence in teaching, course and program improvement, and other activities that enhance the students’ academic experience and career preparation.
- Demonstration of leadership potential, as reflected by service to the college, the university, within business and industry or the community.
- Current and potential visibility in the individual’s discipline, as reflected by outreach, service and engagement in academic, professional or industry organizations.
- Each department head will solicit qualified nominations from all faculty in his or her department.
- The department head will use all tenured/non-eligible faculty members as an advisory group and discuss the merits of the candidates.
- The department head will make the final decision and submit one nomination to the dean.
- The dean will review and approve the nominations and submit the final recommendation to the Provost and University Faculty Scholars Committee.
- Candidates may be self-nominated or nominated by a colleague.
- The candidate’s nomination package to the dean must include:
- Current CV and current SME (maximum 25 pages)
- Letter of nomination from a colleague other than the department head addressing the nominee’s qualifications and potential (maximum 2 pages)
- Letter of support from the nominee’s department head (maximum 2 pages)
- The college’s nomination package should include all items listed above from the candidate’s nomination package as well as:
- Letter from the dean supporting the nomination at the university level (maximum 2 pages)
- Additional details can be found on the process website: https://provost.ncsu.edu/special-initiatives/university-faculty-scholars/index.php
- September 13, 2016 – Nominations and supporting documents due to the Department Head
- September 19, 2016 – Nominations and supporting documents due to the Dean of the College of Textiles
- September 21, 2016 – College nominations due to the Office of the Provost
- November 1, 2016 – University advisory committee’s recommendations due to the Provost
- Mid-November 2016 – University Faculty Scholars named