Student Competitions & Shows
Shows & Competitions (in order of deadline)
ITA Educational Foundation programs
Cover Competition Deadlines: Oct. 3rd & Feb. 27th
- Spotlights the design talents of a student and their school.
Industry Symposium “Fabric: From Concept to Consumer” Deadline: Jan. 17th
- The annual three-day industry tour began in 1999, bringing students and faculty together from design schools throughout the US for a unique exchange between academia and industry. The upcoming tour will occur on February 7-9, 2018.
Virginia Jackson Design Competition Deadline: April 9th
- Established in 1995 to honor students in the field of textile design; awards are given in both woven and print categories.
Internship Program: Ongoing
- A unique partnership with our ITA Member companies and students who are preparing for a career in the home furnishings textile industry.
2018 Trashion Competition
Design clothing or accessories from items that would otherwise be tossed in the trash, and you could win $500!
- Create a garment or accessory using at least 75 percent reused materials – things like plastic bags, tires, aluminum cans, bottle caps, newspaper, fabric, and cardboard.
- Complete an online entry form with a description of your creation, along with photos or video
- Entries will be judged on originality, functionality, and quality of construction
Show Off Your Design
Winners will model their designs at the 2018 Raleigh Environmental Awards on March 22, 2018
For more information and to fill out an entry form visit the City’s website and enter the search term “2018 Environmental Awards” or call 919-996-6872. The deadline for entries is Jan. 26, 2018.
LEVI’S X ARTS THREAD DESIGN COMPETITION 2018
This year we’re challenging you to design your version of the 20th Anniversary Levi’s® Engineered Jeans. Will you take design elements from the original or reimagine them for the 21st Century in a new way, with a fresh take on the philosophy of comfort and freedom to move? What new technologies can you find that deliver comfort, performance and sustainability?
Prize: A paid 10 week Design internship at Levi’s San Francisco Headquarters in summer 2017. As part of the internship you’ll get work with the best denim experts on the planet, and visit the legendary Levi’s Archive and the Eureka Innovation Lab.
Open to anyone over 18 who is enrolled in a Fashion Design program worldwide with an accredited college/university and graduating between September 2018 – June 2019.
Deadline: January 28 2018
15th Annual Student Design Competition sponsored by Alpaca Owners Association, Inc. (AOA)
It’s not just a contest, it’s an experience!! Over 200 North American college-level art and design schools are being contacted for their students to compete for the cash prizes, exciting professional development, and networking opportunities our awards bring. The entry deadline is April 22, 2018. You will find the 2018 Official Rules online at www.alpacainfo.com/fashion.
Registration is now open for Wool4School 2018 with amazing opportunities and prize-money for both teachers and students to win.
In 2018 students are invited to design an innovative, creative and multi-functional outfit, containing a minimum 80% Merino wool. Students are advised to think outside the box by injecting new concepts and imaginative uses into their designs, such as transforming a skirt into handbag or sweater into skirt. The outfits must contain a minimum of one piece with a maximum of four pieces. While students do not have to make their designs, they must illustrate and carefully describe the textiles used in their work.
Full details, including registration dates can be found on www.wool4school.com, along with details of the amazing prizes available to students.
Spoonflower Emerging Designer Grant
The Spoonflower Emerging Designer Grant, an award to support undergraduate and graduate students in pursuit of textile and design degrees worldwide. Grants are awarded to a select group of recipients each month to create their own digitally printed custom fabric and wall media for use in shows and exhibitions. Recipients are chosen monthly on a rolling basis.