Student Competitions & Shows
Shows & Competitions (in order of deadline)
ITA Educational Foundation programs
Cover Competition Deadlines: Oct. 3rd & Feb. 27th
- Spotlights the design talents of a student and their school.
Virginia Jackson Design Competition Deadline: April 9th
- Established in 1995 to honor students in the field of textile design; awards are given in both woven and print categories.
Internship Program: Ongoing
- A unique partnership with our ITA Member companies and students who are preparing for a career in the home furnishings textile industry.
15th Annual Student Design Competition sponsored by Alpaca Owners Association, Inc. (AOA)
It’s not just a contest, it’s an experience!! Over 200 North American college-level art and design schools are being contacted for their students to compete for the cash prizes, exciting professional development, and networking opportunities our awards bring. The entry deadline is April 22, 2018. You will find the 2018 Official Rules online at www.alpacainfo.com/fashion.
The ICFA/Richard Frinier Design Scholarship
The ICFA / Richard Frinier Design Scholarship was established in 2016 and is endowed by the renowned designer and his wife and partner, Catherine, to inspire design students in the creation of innovative outdoor living spaces for residential, contract and hospitality environments. The annual scholarship is awarded to the winner of an online competition in which college-level students submit their original designs for outdoor living products. Entry deadline May 31, 2018.
Students submit designs in the categories of furniture, textiles / materials, lighting, accessories or shade structure to be judged on criteria including:
- innovation and original design related to use of materials
- aesthetics of form and style
- materials / textiles
- material performance in withstanding the elements of nature for full-time outdoor use
- colors / color options
- engineering and manufacturing
- concept sketch / illustration as compared to finished prototype or scale model
- adaptability across residential, contract and hospitality use and markets
- emotional values and connection with target audience and end-user
- social context
- timelessness of design regardless of the styling of the design
- marketability / salability / story
The winner of the ICFA / Richard Frinier Design Scholarship Competition will receive:
- A $2,000 scholarship to support their design studies
- One round-trip economy class airfare ticket and one night’s hotel stay in Chicago to attend Casual Market Chicago with a tour by industry mentors
- Personal introductions to Richard Frinier, Jackie Hirschhaut, Executive Director of ICFA, and the Chairman of the Board of Directors of ICFA during Casual Market Chicago
- An in-person or phone meeting with Richard Frinier to discuss student’s design career interests and how best to apply their interests, talents and energy within the casual furniture industry in the future
- A ticket to the ICFA Awards Gala where they will be presented with the ICFA / Richard Frinier Design Scholarship
Registration is now open for Wool4School 2018 with amazing opportunities and prize-money for both teachers and students to win.
In 2018 students are invited to design an innovative, creative and multi-functional outfit, containing a minimum 80% Merino wool. Students are advised to think outside the box by injecting new concepts and imaginative uses into their designs, such as transforming a skirt into handbag or sweater into skirt. The outfits must contain a minimum of one piece with a maximum of four pieces. While students do not have to make their designs, they must illustrate and carefully describe the textiles used in their work.
Full details, including registration dates can be found on www.wool4school.com, along with details of the amazing prizes available to students.
YMA Fashion Scholarship Fund scholarship
Win a $5,000 scholarship check payable to YOU. Our mission is to create consistent platforms that engage the best and the brightest students who are interested in joining the world of fashion. Those platforms include interesting and inspiring case studies, engaging networking events with industry leaders and Alumni scholars, support in finding internships, while always looking for new and innovative ways to add value to the students. Deadline: October 1, 2018. Read more
Spoonflower Emerging Designer Grant
The Spoonflower Emerging Designer Grant, an award to support undergraduate and graduate students in pursuit of textile and design degrees worldwide. Grants are awarded to a select group of recipients each month to create their own digitally printed custom fabric and wall media for use in shows and exhibitions. Recipients are chosen monthly on a rolling basis.