Loading Events

« All Events

Textile Manufacturing Processing Workshop

July 19 - July 23


This interactive workshop will provide you the opportunity to work hands-on in NC State’s yarn, knitting, weaving, dyeing and finishing and testing laboratory facilities. Pilot plant activities, exercises and experiments will engage you in developing textile yarns, converting the yarns into fabric, adding specific dyes and finishes to the fabric, and testing both yarn and fabric. This workshop provides an interactive, close-up view of the steps required to develop yarns and fabrics.


  • $1495 per person
  • $1395 for additional registrants from the same company

What you will learn:

  • How fiber blends are processed
  • How yarn counts and twist levels are determined
  • Ways to change yarn characteristics
  • How to match yarn counts with weft knitting machine gauges
  • Factors controlling weft knit and woven fabric weights
  • Weft knitting machine parameters controlling fabric torque, shrinkage and other fabric issues
  • Steps in designing weft knit and woven fabrics
  • Causes and cures of common knit and woven fabric defects
  • The importance of good yarn preparation for weaving
  • Scouring and bleaching of fabrics and yarns
  • Practical applications of lab dips
  • Principles of color formulation and shade matching
  • Procedures of chemical and mechanical finishes
  • Steps in printing color into fabrics
  • Key fiber, yarn, and fabric tests and what the results tell you

Why attend:

  • This workshop is a highly interactive textile education course with 90% of class time spent in labs and the remaining 10% filled with classroom instruction and Q&A sessions
  • Meet and develop a network with participants from similar fields of work
  • Meet and share ideas with NC State Wilson College of Textiles teaching staff

Who should attend:

We recommend this course to any professionals wishing to gain basic experience in textile operations, or those with some experience who wish to expand their knowledge. Anyone wishing to gain practical exposure to textile fundamentals will benefit from this course.

Closed-toed shoes are required while attending this course.


July 19
July 23
Event Categories:


Wilson College of Textiles
1020 Main Campus Dr
RALEIGH, NC 27695 United States
+ Google Map


Latoya Giles