Skip to main content


Traveling with Technology

There are several things to remember when you are traveling abroad with your laptop, phone or mobile device. You have to assume that you may lose or have your device stolen, or have it compromised. This includes data loss, data being stolen, and possibly bringing back viruses or trojans to campus upon your return. Preparation is key to protect both you and the university.

Note: If your personally-owned mobile device has university-data on it (like your phone having your email sync’d to it), then this data applies to that device as well since that data on it is university-owned.

Travel Authorizations

Employees (Faculty, Staff, and Postdocs)

Enter authorizations in advance of the business trip and before any expenses are incurred

Non-employees (Visitors and Students)

Fill out paper form AP104 and have it signed by the non-employee and department or unit head. This should be included with P-Card receipts for expenses paid directly by the University and a reimbursement processed through the Travel Center

Blanket Authorizations

For travel on a routine or repeating basis for similar activities

May not exceed a period of a year, but can be renewed on an annual basis

Travel Advances

Issued from non-state funds for employees, visitors, and students when a P-Card cannot be used and one of the following conditions exists:

  • Trip exceeds 30 days
  • Trip is for out of country travel
  • A visitor, student or volunteer whose travel exceeds $50
  • Group travel

Employees fill out AP102 and AP103 to request and reconcile the advance.

Non-employees fill out AP104 and AP105.

Advances to temporary employees, visitors, and students require a cosigner. If the advance is not reconciled and overage repaid, the cosigner will be responsible for repaying the advance.


Transportation limited to Coach, but Business Class permitted on international, overseas flights
Upgrades beyond these limitations must be paid for by the employee.

If the flight was purchased by the traveler, remove upgrades from the reimbursement. If these are not separate line items on the receipt, the traveler MUST submit documentation of the upgraded flight to substantiate purchase AND print out the cost of the SAME FLIGHT at coach fare to substantiate the amount of the reimbursement

Traveler’s insurance is not permitted or reimbursable

Change fees are permitted with documented business purpose. Include in the Comments section, or on the receipt.

Lodging – Commercial Establishments

For Commercial Establishments, the following information must be on the receipt: name and address of establishment, traveler’s name, travel dates, room rate and taxes, total of expenses incurred, and reflect payment was made (zero balance).

The most complete receipt is the one received upon checkout.

If booked via a third party site (Travelocity, Expedia), their receipt may be accepted provided it includes all information above.

Other permissible travel expenses (internet, parking) should be separated out from the room rate and taxes and charged to the correct account code if paid by P-Card or put on a separate line in the reimbursement.

Non permissible expenses should not go on the P-Card and should be deducted from a reimbursement (food).

Lodging – Non-commercial Establishments, Shared Rooms

Lodging in Non-Commercial Establishments (Airbnb, VRBO) must be approved in advance by the Controller’s Office

Request should establish savings to the State.

If not possible to document, the justification needs to address the necessity for this type of lodging.

Lodging Shared by Travelers

Permitted, the traveler who incurs the expense claims the reimbursement.

Transportation by State Owned Vehicles, Rental Vehicles

Maximize use of State Owned Vehicles where possible by contacting Fleet Services

Make use of State Contracts for rentals.

  • Enterprise / National – Account # XZ53666
  • Hertz – Customer Discount Program # 2086910

Compact or Standard car should be rented unless additional employees are travelling and a larger vehicle is needed.

The receipt must reflect payment and have a zero balance, or the traveler’s bank or credit card statement should be submitted as proof of payment.

If State Contract not used when available, and the rental is higher than contract rates, the employee may be only be reimbursed at the contract rates.

Comprehensive and collision insurance provided free of charge by the University within the US and Canada. If purchased through the rental car company in these areas, this cost will not be reimbursed. Personal Accident Insurance will not be reimbursed either.

Transportation by Personal Vehicle

Mileage is measured from either the duty station (NC State) or point of departure (Home), whichever is closer to the destination.

Specific details about the miles driven is required for reimbursement including departure and destination locations. A PDF of Google Maps (or similar site) directions showing mileage should be attached to the reimbursement request.

Threshold for local mileage reimbursement is 20 miles round trip.

Currency Conversion

The traveler needs to convert all foreign currency expenditures before entering the reimbursement in the system. There are two methods for converting the costs.

The traveler needs to convert all foreign currency expenditures before entering the reimbursement in the system. There are two methods for converting the costs.

Attach a copy of the bank or credit card statement establishing the charge to the traveler in USD. Non-pertinent information can be blacked out, but the traveler’s name, date or purchase, and vendor name should be shown to tie it to the receipt.

Use a currency conversion website ( to convert the expenses. Choose the date the expense was incurred and convert each charge separately. A copy of the conversion should be printed to PDF and attached to the reimbursement request.