Summer Textile Exploration Program
2017 Summer Textile Exploration Dates
1st Week: June 18-23
2nd Week: June 25- 30
3rd Week: July 9-14
4th Week: July 16-21
Apply Online to STEP – 2017 Application will open January 1, 2017
The College of Textiles Summer Textile Exploration Program consists of four one-week sessions for rising high school seniors. Up to 30-35 students per week are chosen based on their academic success, interest in NC State College of Textiles, and extracurricular activities. Participants will live in one of NC State’s residence halls. This past year there were four different sessions with a total of 124 students in attendance.
During the morning students participate in sessions learning about the five degree programs offered in the College of Textiles, applying the NC State University, Centennial Scholarship, future internship and job opportunities, and visit local textile companies. Each student has the opportunity to choose their top project interest, and will dedicate their afternoon to a project pertaining to one of the following that has been completed in the past.
- Apparel Design
- Students use their creative skills and recycle garments into a newly constructed outfit.
- Textile Engineering
- Dr. Bradford has lead an engineering group in the study of fiber composite materials. Fibers are often hidden in everyday objects that help make our life better. From fiberglass boats to carbon fiber aircraft, fibers make high performance structures possible. This project group explores how composites are made and the engineering necessary to harness their amazing properties.
- Business Management
- Students engage in a Global Textile Business Simulation that address all relevant concepts of becoming an entrepreneur, running and growing a business, and analyzing current companies.
- Textile Design
- Learn how fabrics are designed and created; go home with fabric that you have designed using our knitting or weaving lab and create it into a new product.
- Polymer Chemistry
- The field of forensics encompasses a wide array of disciplines, each of which is discussed briefly during the week of STEP. However, the primary goals of this one-week summer program pertain to chemical analytical techniques to identify unknown fibers, polymers, colorless and colored chemicals. Students have also taken part in a cellulose project to transform insoluble cellulose to cellulose acetate and determine solubility of your polymer, and other commercial cellulose acetate products.
Every afternoon, students finish their project work and enjoy free-time; including visits to NC State’s University Recreation, SkyZone, shopping and movie night at the Streets of Southpoint, and much more.
- Online application
- Unofficial copy of transcript uploaded to your application
- One teacher letter of recommendation
The application is due Monday, May 1, 2017 at 11:59pm. The cost of the program is $200. This covers lodging, transportation, materials, and several meals during the program. Students are encouraged to bring approximately $150 in spending money to cover meals and evening activities not covered by the program fee.
We will accept the teacher letter of recommendation until Wednesday, May 3, 2017. Your unofficial transcript is required to be uploaded as a part of your application and your teacher will upload the letter of recommendation separately. Your application request your teachers name and email address, in which he/she will receive an email instructing them on how to upload their letter of recommendation.
If you have any questions please contact Allie Vick at firstname.lastname@example.org.