Department Head and Professor, TECS
Alumni Distinguished Undergraduate Professor
Textile Engineering, Chemistry and Science
- Office: College of Textiles 3271
- Phone: 919-513-4188
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- CV: Download Jeff Joines's CV
- Google Scholar: View Jeff Joines's Profile
About Jeff Joines
Jeff received all four of engineering degrees from NC State University. Jeff’s expertise is in supply chain optimization utilizing computer simulation where he has published numerous papers and given many international presentations. He has helped many fortune 500 companies with efficiency and process improved projects. He was the Co-Proceedings Editor for the 2000 Winter Simulation Conference, the Program Chair for the 2005 WSC and currently sits on the WSC Board.
He teaches undergraduate and graduate classes in computer information and database systems, computer-based modelling in Excel and VBA, simulation modelling using SIMIO, and Lean Six-Sigma. His passion lies in helping students reach their fullest potential and is heavily involved in utilizing technology in the classroom and how it impacts problem-solving. Jeff teaches industrial workshops in Wilson College of Textiles Master Black Belt Six Sigma program. Jeff has received numerous prestigious awards and recognition for his professional contributions over the years.
Scholarly and Professional Honors
2018 – Emerald Literati Outstanding Paper Award for the paper “Apparel sourcing in Sub-Saharan Africa: Views from apparel sourcing executives and trade policy representatives“, Research Journal of Textile and Apparel with (Ruth Adikorley, Kristin Thoney, and Lori Rothenberg)
2017– Ed Fitts Department of Industrial & Systems Engineering Distinguished Alumnus Award
2017– Awarded Alumni Association Outstanding Extension and Outreach Award,
2017– Awarded NC State Outstanding Extension Service Award.
2016 – Board of Governors Award for Excellence in Teaching Recipient (First recipient ever in the Wilson College of Textiles)
2014 – INFORMS Distinguished Service Award (International Award)
2012 – NC State University Alumni Association Distinguished Undergraduate Professor Award
2009 – Gertrude Cox Teaching Award for Innovative Excellence in Teaching and Learning with Technology for Large Transformative Projects (with Steve Roberts)
2006 – Awarded NC State University Alumni Outstanding Teaching Award, NC State Alumni Association
2006 – Awarded Outstanding Teacher at NC State University, Wilson College of Textiles
2004 – Received the best paper award for the paper titled “A simulation-based scheduling system and its implementation in a Textile operation” at 2nd Industrial Simulation Conf in Malaga Spain (with Kristin Thoney).
2004 –Awarded the Best New National Textile Center Proposal in the Management Systems Area for the proposal titled “Quantifying the Value of Information Sharing in a Supply Chain” (S04-NS02).
2002 – Received a Scientific Excellence Award from National Textile Center
1998 – Received First place in the Pritsker Doctoral Dissertation Award for the year’s best dissertation, Institute of Industrial engineers.
My technical expertise is in supply chain optimization utilizing computer simulation modelling and optimization to design, control, and analyze supply chains, production, and manufacturing systems. Most of my research is in applied optimization problems, both within the textile complex and beyond. I also teach many industrial short courses on simulation modelling, databases, lean six sigma, design for six sigma.
- Ph.D. Industrial Engineering, North Carolina State University, 1996
- M.S. Industrial Engineering, North Carolina State University, 1993
- B.S. Industrial Engineering, North Carolina State University, 1990
- B.S. Electrical Engineering, North Carolina State University, 1990
- High School Diploma , North Davidson High School, Davidson County North Carolina, 1986
- Development of a Standard Testing Procedure for Evaluating Firefighter Protective Hoods on PyroHead Fire Test System
- Carlton, N. P., Ormond, R. B., Joines, J. A., Morton-Aslanis, J., & Barker, R. L. (2020), In Performance of Protective Clothing and Equipment: Innovative Solutions to Evolving Challenges (pp. 18–30). https://doi.org/10.1520/STP162420190090
- Influence of demographics and motivational factors on US consumer clothing and shoes disposal behavior
- Rezaei Arangdad, S., Thoney-Barletta, K., Joines, J., & Rothenberg, L. (2019), Research Journal of Textile and Apparel, 23(3), 170–188. https://doi.org/10.1108/rjta-08-2018-0051
- Improving SET Response Rates: Synchronous Online Administration as a Tool to Improve Evaluation Quality
- Standish, T., Joines, J. A., Young, K. R., & Gallagher, V. J. (2018), Research in Higher Education, 59(6), 812–823. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11162-017-9488-5
- Logistics of carpet recycling in the U.S.: designing the collection network
- Sas, I., Joines, J. A., Thoney, K. A., & King, R. E. (2018), The Journal of The Textile Institute, 6, 1–10. https://doi.org/10.1080/00405000.2018.1480101
- Student evaluations of teaching: the impact of faculty procedures on response rates
- Young, K., Joines, J., Standish, T., & Gallagher, V. (2018), Assessment & Evaluation in Higher Education, 4, 1–13. https://doi.org/10.1080/02602938.2018.1467878
- Apparel sourcing in Sub-Saharan Africa
- Adikorley, R. D., Thoney-Barletta, K., Joines, J., & Rothenberg, L. (2017), Research Journal of Textile and Apparel, 21(3), 203–218. https://doi.org/10.1108/rjta-05-2017-0022
- History of the winter simulation conference: Modern period (2008–2017)
- Alexopoulos, C., Joines, J. A., & Kuhl, M. E. (2017), 2017 Winter Simulation Conference (WSC), 100–114. https://doi.org/10.1109/wsc.2017.8247785
- History of the winter simulation conference: Period of growth, consolidation, and innovation (1993–2007)
- Barton, R. R., Joines, J. A., & Morrice, D. J. (2017), 2017 Winter Simulation Conference (WSC), 87–99. https://doi.org/10.1109/wsc.2017.8247784
- Strategies for Increasing Response Rates for Online End-of-Course Evaluations.
- Chapman, D. D., & Joines, J. A. (2017), International Journal of Teaching and Learning in Higher Education, 29(1), 47–60.
- Using Stepwise Regression and Nonparametric Tests to Analyze the Landed Cost Competitiveness of Producing Apparel in Different Companies
- Rothenberg, L., Adikorley, R. A., Thoney, K., & Joines, J. A. (2017), Proceedings of the 2017 Joint Statistical Meeting (JSM).
- EMN-14-F-S-05 Roll on core: Intervention development to mitigate repeating film impressions from tape
- (11/30/-1 - 7/15/15)
- Effect of monitoring system design on response time to cardiac arrhythmias
- (4/01/15 - 3/31/21)
- Logistics of Closed Loop Textile Recycling: 2nd Year
- (5/01/10 - 4/30/12)
- Logistics of Closed Loop Textile Recycling
- (5/01/09 - 7/31/11)
- Logistical Models for Closed Loop Recycling of Apparel and Technical Textiles
- (1/01/10 - 6/30/11)
- Logistical Model for Closed Loop Recycling of Textile Materials
- (1/01/08 - 6/30/09)
- Supply Chain Linkages: Opportunities for the U.S. Textile Supply Chain
- (1/01/08 - 6/30/09)
- Developing a Comprehensive Cost Model in Sourcing Products
- (1/01/08 - 6/30/09)
- CPATH CB: Computing Across Curricula
- (7/01/07 - 9/30/10)
- The Production of Profitability: Optimization and Control of Increasingly Complex Textile Plants
- (7/01/06 - 6/30/07)
- The Institute for Operations Research and Management Science (INFORMS)
- Institute of Electronic and Electrical Engineers (IEEE) - IEEE SMC Board Member to the Winter Simulation Conference
- Institute of Industrial Engineers (IIE) - IEEE SMC Board Member to the Winter Simulation Conference
- - IEEE SMC Board Member to the Winter Simulation Conference
- TE 110 - Computer Based Modeling with Excel and VBA , Fall
- TE/ISE/OR 562 - Computer Simulation Modeling , Spring
- TE 404/424 - Lean Six Sigma Course and Lab , Spring
- TE 205 - Textile Engineering Systems , Spring
- TE 440 - Textile Information Systems Design , Fall
- Professional Service
• Chair of the Board, Winter Simulation Conference, 2015.
• Member of the Board, Winter Simulation Conference representing IEEE SMC, 2010 – present
• WSC Online Submission and Database Technical Coordinator. 2000 – 2014.
• Track Chair Coordinator Winter Simulation Conference 2008, 11, 12, 16, and 18
• Program Chair, 2005 Winter Simulation Conference (WSC), 2000 – 2005.
• Workshops Chair, 2000 Congress on Evolutionary Computation (CEC), San Diego, CA.
• Co-Proceedings Editor, 2000 Winter Simulation Conference, December 1998-2000.
• Associate Editor for Fuzzy Optimization and Decision Making
• Consulting Activities (Hanesbrands, PFG, Natick, Lenovo)