2021-22 Student and Faculty Successes
Faculty Teaching Awards
- Traci Lamar
- NC State 2021-22 Outstanding Teacher Award, April 2022.
- 2022 Alumni Association Outstanding Teacher Award, April 2022.
- Member of the Academy of Outstanding Teachers for the duration of her faculty appointment at NC State.
- Lori Rothenberg
- Nominated for the Gertrude Cox Award for Innovative Excellence in Teaching and Learning with Technology, January 2022.
- Nominated for University Faculty Scholar, October 2021.
- Janie Woodbridge
- Co-mentored several students that participated in the Cotton in the Curriculum competition “Cotton for Universal Design.” Honorable mention.
Faculty Research Awards
- Kate Annett-Hitchcock
- Colleen Callahan Professional development award, $1,000, Costume Society of America.
- A. Blanton Godfrey
- International Academy of Quality, Marcos Bertin Quality in Governance Medal, September 2021.
- Chanmi Hwang
- 2022 Barbara S. Stowe Faculty Award, Wilson College of Textiles, NC State University, $600.
- Awarded $2,000 from DELTA for the project “Interactive learning environments: Improving oral, written, and visual communication skills in design disciplines
- Project entitled “Using 3D virtual fitting room stimuli to enhance older adults’ spatial visualization ability” awarded $13,350 from NSRP, NC State.
- Byoungho Ellie Jin
- Project entitled “Traceability and Transparency in the Apparel Supply Chain” Cotton, Inc. awarded $9,000.
- Project entitled “Traceability and Transparency in the Apparel Supply Chain” Cotton, Inc. has awarded additional funding in the amount of $2,000.
- Jin, B., Yang, H., Shin, D., Jeong, S., and Chung, J-E. (2021, November). Consumer religiosity, cosmopolitanism and ethnocentrism in Indonesia: Their impact on global brand preference and purchase intention toward Korean cosmetics. Paper presented at the annual conference of International Textile and Apparel Association (This paper won the Paper of Distinction.)
- Jung, S., Shin, D., Woo, H. and Jin, B. (2021, October). Asymmetrical cross-brand spillover effects based on csr-related publicity types and reference brand dominance levels. Paper presented at Korean Society of Clothing & Textiles. Seoul, Korea (This paper won the Best Paper Award)
- Karen Leonas
- Project entitled “Cotton Innovations Meeting Consumer Demands” awarded $18,945 by Cotton Inc.
- Delisia Matthews
- Wearing Social Justice: An Identity Theory Perspective of Black Lives Matter Apparel Among Non-Black Consumers , Sarif Patwary and Olivia Johnson, University of Houston; Delisia Matthews, North Carolina State University; ITAA Conference, 2021, Virtual. (Paper of Distinction Award)
- Interviewed during a live webinar celebrating Black History Month at Lenovo for a special segment highlighting the Data Trade Gateway grant, given its tie to HBCUs and minority owned businesses.
- Kavita Mathur
- “Hemp-based Fabric for Military Uniforms” awarded $60,000 by TDA Research.
- Kate Nartker
- Selected as a Fulbright U.S. Scholar for 2022-2023 to conduct research and teaching at HDK-Valand in Gothenburg, Sweden in Spring 2023.
- 2021-2022 Barbara S. Stowe Faculty Award, Wilson College of Textiles, NC State University, $600, will support travel costs to the Costume Society of America conference where she will present a paper.
- Lori Rothenberg
- Rothenberg and Salmon, “High-throughput Textile Composting Test Method”, ROSF Award, $10,000.
- Abdel-Fattah Seyam
- Project entitled “Development of High Performance Laminates for Airship Hull” awarded additional funding of $63,840 from SCEYE, Inc.
- “Development of High Performance Laminates for Airship Hull” awarded additional funding of $259,527 from SCEYE, Inc.
- Minyoung Suh
- “Wearable Connectors with Compatible Interconnects” awarded $208,516 by Advanced Functional Fabrics of America (AFFOA).
- “Clothing Size and Fit Optimization thru Body Scanning” awarded $49,995 by 3DLOOK.
- Andre West
- West, A., Luan, K. and Thompson, D., “Breathable high stretch, flame-resistant textile for moisture management” awarded $80,000 from Advanced Cooling Technologies, Inc. (ACT).
- “Military Uniform Fabric Produced with Hemp Fibers” awarded $68,054 by Bear Fiber.
- Janie Woodbridge
- Competed in “Fleece to Fabric” as part of Carolina Fiber Fest in Raleigh, NC. Worked with a group of students to create yarn and weave a shawl in five hours at a public event. Received 2nd place.
- Received award for most engaging presentation at the SOTL Institute Semester Kick-off Meeting, September 2021.
TATM Faculty Collaboration Research Awards
- Lisa Chapman, Traci Lamar, Kavita Mathur, Kate Nartker, Janie Woodbridge
- Awarded $41,477 from Cotton Incorporated for the project “Cotton, Circularity and the Industry Gone Digital”
- Karen Leonas and Andre West
- Project titled “Development of Military Uniform Fabric with Hemp Fibers” awarded $59,773 by IDA Fiber Studio.
- Kavita Mathur and Pamela McCauley
- “Time and Motion Study to Evaluate the Design and Usability Performance of Kōze Duvet Technology” awarded $9,828 by Daisy Cutter.
- Kavita Mathur, Minyoung Suh and Yin
- “Sewability Assessment of Conductive Yarns on Industrial Sewing Equipment” awarded $222,533 by Advanced Functional Fabrics of America (AFFOA).
- Delisia Matthews and Lori Rothenberg
- “Training on Use of Data Analysis Tools” awarded $30,500 from Lenovo.
- Marguerite Moore, Abdel-Fattah Seyam and Ford
- “Maximizing Soy Crop Conversion to Textile Fibers Having High Soy Content for the Sustainable Apparel and Home Textiles High-Volume Markets” awarded $153,416 from Smith Bucklin & Associates, LLC (SBA).
Student Honors, Awards and Recognition
- Ava Armstrong (Fashion and Textile Management – Brand Management and Marketing) received 2022 Fashion Scholarship Fund (FSF).
- Evanna Edward, received Rising Star Scholarship ($1,000) from National Retail Federation (NRF) Student program
- Kori Hyer ’20 B.S. Fashion and Textile Design – Fashion Design, PCA Vision awards finalist for her “Avalanche Rescue Team” jacket.