Ways to Give
Giving to the college through the North Carolina Textile Foundation is easy, and the foundation accepts gifts in a wide range of forms.
Annual gifts to our three funds support scholarships, student programs, research, and student and faculty recruitment in the college.
- Dean’s Textiles Innovation Fund: From helping students who are facing emergency hardship caused by the pandemic to providing faculty with the support needed to present their research at international conferences, the Dean’s Textiles Innovation Fund has helped meet the college’s most immediate needs. Areas of priority include:
- Student, faculty and staff development
- Tutoring support for all students in the Wilson College of Textiles
- Hosting educational seminars
- Travel to top industry conferences
- The retention of talented faculty
- Innovative new programs and facilities
- NCTF Centennial Scholarship Endowment: The North Carolina Textile Foundation (NCTF) Centennial Scholarship Endowment provides life-changing, merit-based scholarships to undergraduate students who are pursuing a degree at the Wilson College of Textiles. By covering the costs of tuition, education fees and enrichment activities, the NCTF Centennial Scholarship Endowment empowers students to focus solely on their world-class education.
- Textiles Diversity and Inclusion Fund: Equity, which is one of the central values for the Wilson College of Textiles, is essential to the college’s success. The Textiles Diversity and Inclusion Fund finances culture-building initiatives for students, faculty and staff. In turn, this support builds the college’s cultural competence and fosters a climate of inclusivity.
Each of these funds enhances the student experience, and no gift to support them is too small. Recognition begins at the $100 giving level, and a gift of $1,000 or more qualifies you for our Dean’s Circle leadership giving society in addition to the benefits and recognition of the Chancellor’s Circle.
Supporting the college with an annual donation is crucial in allowing the college to meet the immediate needs and priorities that private support provides. Annual giving demonstrates your commitment to supporting the best efforts of our students and faculty in textile education.
You can give via one of several easy methods:
- Online via credit card.
- By a check payable to “North Carolina Textile Foundation.” Please indicate the name of the program or fund you’ve chosen on the check. Mail checks to: North Carolina Textile Foundation, Campus Box 8301, Raleigh, NC 27695.
- By speaking with our foundation staff via phone at 919.515.3878.
$44 Million Invested
Since its incorporation in 1942, the North Carolina Textile Foundation has invested more than $44 million in student, faculty and program support.
Endowments and Naming Opportunities
Endowment gifts are the most important long-term investments a donor can make in the college.
Donors can create their own endowment or contribute to an existing fund that supports a specific program, scholarship, named professorship, graduate assistantship or other meaningful funding priority. Scholarships can also be designed to meet a donor’s unique wishes. To discuss giving opportunities or initiate an endowment, please contact the foundation at 919.515.3878 or by email.
Scholarships may be either endowed or funded annually. An endowed scholarship is permanently funded by the donor, and scholarships are awarded from investment income. Endowed scholarships may be funded over a period of several years as the donor desires.
For an annual scholarship, the donor contributes each year for that year’s scholarship. Scholarship amounts vary with the donor’s annual contribution. We strongly encourage donors to commit to four years of scholarship support: Incoming first-year students are awarded scholarships, and these scholarships are renewed for three additional years, given appropriate academic progress and grade point averages.
Centennial Scholarships: Named to honor the college’s 100th anniversary, these are the top scholarships awarded by the NCTF, at a minimum of $15,000 per year for four years. The scholarship also provides $7,500 as a special enrichment fund that may be used for study abroad, leadership programs, career explorations or other approved enrichment activities. Centennials are awarded to incoming first-year students on the basis of academic achievement in high school, proven and potential leadership qualities, involvement in extracurricular activities and unique life experiences. All Centennial Scholars take part in a unique honors class during their first year.
NCTF Distinguished Merit and Prestige Scholarships: Named donor scholarships are awarded to incoming first-year students. Each is awarded for four years and ranges in value from $2,500 to $5,000 per year.
NCTF Merit Graduate Fellowships: Fellowships for graduate students provide up to $10,000 per year to support their teaching and research and to cover the costs of health insurance.
Textile Pioneer Scholarships: The scholarship provides funding to students from non-metropolitan North Carolina areas who have an interest in the textile industry. The Textile Pioneer Scholarship is the college’s first need-based scholarship, and it provides a minimum of $14,000 per year for four years and $4,000 in enrichment funds to incoming first-year students.
An endowed professorship requires a contribution of $1 million. Such named professorships are established to recognize the scholarly research contributions of faculty members or to attract a nationally recognized individual with scholarly credentials, such as membership in one of the National Academies.
Across the college and in every department, opportunities exist to recognize and honor loved ones, industry leaders or organizations through the naming of facilities significant to the donor or honoree. Funds invested in facility naming may support the construction or renovation of a space, or they may create an endowment to support continuing maintenance and programming in a facility.
From a minimum of $50,000, naming opportunities present a diverse range of options in which to invest in the college. If you are interested in a naming opportunity, the North Carolina Textile Foundation team will be more than happy to work with you to select the most appropriate program or space.
Although cash gifts are the most common, there are many other types of gifts you can give to support the North Carolina Textile Foundation:
- Securities, including closely held stock
- Real estate and personal property
- Insurance policies naming the foundation as beneficiary
- Deferred gifts or will bequests, including charitable remainder trusts, charitable gift annuities and charitable lead trusts
To learn more about planned giving or for sample language to make the foundation part of your estate planning, please contact our office at 919.515.3878. Planned giving is an attractive way to consider a variety of gift vehicles that can alleviate future tax issues, create an income stream and accomplish your philanthropic goals. You can also visit NC State Gift Planning to learn more.
Give Your Time
The college also offers many ways for alumni and friends to support the college by giving their time. Learn how you can get involved.