Associate Dean for Academic Programs,
Interim Director Zeis Textiles Extension,
Distinguished Professor of Textile Engineering
Academic, Career and Students Services
Textile Engineering, Chemistry and Science
- Office: College of Textiles 3427
- Phone: 919-515-6564
- Email: email@example.com
- Website: textiles.ncsu.edu/blog/team/jon-rust
About Jon Rust
Dr. Jon P. Rust is a Professor of Textile Engineering in the Textile Engineering, Chemistry and Science (TECS) Department in the Wilson College of Textiles at North Carolina State University. The Wilson College of Textiles is the leading institution of its type in the world and produces over half of the doctorates in its field in the United States. The TECS Department comprises three undergraduate programs and two masters programs. The Bachelor of Science degree programs are in Polymer and Color Chemistry, Textile Engineering, and Textile Technology. The Master of Science degree programs are in Textile Chemistry and Textile Engineering.
Dr. Rust received his B.S. degree in Mechanical Engineering from Clemson University in 1982 and his M.S. degree in Fiber Science from Clemson University in 1985. In August of 1990, he received a Ph.D. in Fiber and Polymer Science from North Carolina State University and was promoted to Assistant Professor. Prior to being named Department Head in 2008, he served as Associate Head and Director of Undergraduate Programs from 2000 to 2008, Program Director for the Textile Engineering Program from 1998 to 2000, and as a faculty member in the Wilson College of Textiles since 1985. He also served as Interim Associate Dean for General Education Implementation during the 2008 – 2009 academic year.
As a faculty member, Dr. Rust has taught courses in many aspects of Textile Engineering but primarily in fiber and polymer science, fiber to yarn conversion, and senior design. His teaching awards include the Gertrude Cox Award for Innovative Excellence in Teaching and Learning with Technology, the NCSU Distinguished Undergraduate Professor Award, and he is a three-time Wilson College of Textiles Board of Governors Award nominee.
Dr. Rust has co-authored more than thirty published peer-reviewed research articles and is a co-inventor on eight patents and one pending patent application. Prior to being named Department Head, from 1992 through 2008, Dr. Rust worked in the textile industry for a diverse group of textile companies during the summer leading teams of students on process improvement projects. He is currently a member of the American Association of Textile Chemists and Colorists and the American Society for Engineering Education.
Dr. Rust’s research interests include the broad area of short staple yarn manufacturing. Past successful research projects have dealt with: process controls in drawframe autolevelling, novel sensing and control in carding, HVI cotton fiber property measurement and significance, roller-drafting and autoleveling at carding (includes 4 patents with Dr. T. Clapp), moisture control in staple spinning, ginning technology development, and novel fiber instrumentation.
His current and projected future projects will be related t further development of roller-drafting and autoleveling technology at carding, continued carding development in control and improved sliver quality, development of novel ginning technology, further development of novel fiber instrumentation for measuring several important cotton fiber properties, and in-plant cleaning and moisture control.
- B.S. Mechanical Engineering, Clemson University, 1982
- M.S. Fiber Science, Clemson University, 1985
- PhD. Fiber and Polymer Science, North Carolina State University, 1990
- The development of an in vitro test method for predicting the abrasion resistance of textile and metal components of endovascular stent grafts
- Yao, T., Choules, B. D., Rust, J. P., & King, M. W. (2014), Journal of Biomedical Materials Research. Part B, Applied Biomaterials, 102(3), 488–499. https://doi.org/10.1002/jbm.b.33026
- Fatigue cracking resistance of fiber reinforced asphalt concrete
- Lee, S., Rust, J. P., Hamouda, H., Kim, Y. R., & Borden, R. H. (2005), Textile Research Journal, 75(2), 123–128. https://doi.org/10.1177/004051750507500206
- Mutual support: CAC programs and institutional improvement in undergraduate education
- Anson, C. M., Carter, M., Dannels, D., & Rust, J. (2003), Language and Learning Across the Disciplines, 6, 25–37.
- Effects of feed sliver moisture content on rotor spinning performance and rotor spun yarn properties
- Basal, G., & Rust, J. P. (2001), Textile Research Journal, 71(3), 271–274. https://doi.org/10.1177/004051750107100313
- Fiber Length Measurement by Image Processing
- Ikiz, Y., Rust, J. P., Jasper, W., & Trussell, H. J. (2001), Textile Research Journal, 71(10), 905–910. https://doi.org/10.1177/004051750107101009
- Dealing with fiber crossovers in fiber length measurements by image processing
- Rust, J., Jasper, W., Trussell, H. J., & Ikiz, Y. (2000), In Thirteenth annual Engineered Fiber Selection System Conference proceedings: April 17-19, 2000, Sheraton Imperial Hotel and Convention Center, Research Triangle Park, NC. [Cary, N.C.]: Cotton Inc.
- Fabric softness classification using linear and non linear models
- Peykamian, S., & Rust, J. P. (2000), Textile Research Journal, 70(3), 201–204. https://doi.org/10.1177/004051750007000304
- Yarn quality indexing using a mechanical stylus
- Peykamian, S., & Rust, J. P. (1999), Textile Research Journal, 69(6), 394–400. https://doi.org/10.1177/004051759906900602
- Balloon irregularities in ring spinning
- , (1998). Journal of the Textile Institute, 89(3), 498–514. https://doi.org/10.1080/00405009808658636
- Draftless silver coiler packaging system for automated textile drafting system
- Clapp, T. G., Rust, J. P., Farrington, C., & Bowen, D. T. (1998, July 7), Washington, DC: U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.
- Fabrication Services for Welspun USA Inc.
- Welspun India Ltd.(7/20/16 - 6/30/17)
- Fabric Testing Research Subcontract with the University of California San Diego
- US Dept. of Energy (DOE) - Advanced Research Projects Agency - Energy (ARPA-E)(8/01/16 - 9/06/18)
- Nike Tricomponent Fiber Evaluation
- Nike, Inc.(12/01/14 - 6/05/15)
- Development of Portable Pneumatic Splicing System for Heavy Denier Continuous Filament Yarns
- All-American Hose, LLC(6/01/14 - 12/23/14)
- Strengthening Carbon Nanocomposite Fibers Using Reactive Interphases
- NCSU Faculty Research & Professional Development Fund(7/01/14 - 6/30/15)
- Transformers: Phase I
- Thaler Consumer Products, LLC.(7/01/08 - 9/30/08)
- TE 201L - Textile Engineering Science ,
- TMS 211L - Introduction to Fiber Science ,
- TE 301 - Engineering Textile Structures I: Linear Assemblies ,
- TT 402 - Textile Engineering Design II ,