Associate Dean for Industry Research and Extension
William A. Klopman Distinguished Professor
Executive Director, NWI
The Nonwovens Institute
- Office: College of Textiles 2419
- Phone: 919-515-1822
- Email: email@example.com
- Website: www.thenonwovensinstitute.com/about-nwi/people-detail.cfm?id=94
About Behnam Pourdeyhimi
Behnam Pourdeyhimi is the Klopman Distinguished Professor of Textile Materials and Associate Dean for Industry Research and Extension. He also serves as the Director of the Nonwovens Cooperative Research Center at the Wilson College of Textiles at North Carolina State University.
Behnam received his Ph. D. from Leeds University in 1982. This was followed by positions as a research scientist at NCSU and then at Cornell University. His distinguished academic career has taken him through University of Maryland (1984-1995) and Ga. Tech. (1995-1999) before returning to NC State.
Behnam has taught textile and fiber science, technology and engineering as well as microscopy and image analysis applications to textiles, nonwovens and materials problems both at undergraduate and graduate levels. His research experience covers such areas as image and structural analysis of nonwoven fibrous webs, textile applications in sports, bioengineering and materials, instrumentation and test method development, among others. His contributions to fiber / textile science, engineering and technology and his contributions to the profession have been well recognized by several awards. He has published several books and monographs, over 150 refereed journal articles and over 150 conference presentations. He is the recipient of The Fiber Society Young Distinguished Achievement Award (1994) and Fellowship of the Textile Institute (1994). He served as the President of the Fiber Society in 1995. His students have won several awards, including the Fiber Society Best Paper award and the INTC Best Paper Ward.
Behnam’s research interests are in the area of nonwovens, materials, biomaterials, modeling performance, special textile structures, and image analysis. His expertise is recognized by major corporations and leading research bodies around the world. He acts as consultant to over 30 bodies and major Corporations.
- PhD. Textiles, The University of Leeds, United Kingdom, 1982
- Characterizing nonwoven materials via realistic microstructural modeling
- Moghadam, A., Yousefi, S. H., Tafreshi, H. V., & Pourdeyhimi, B. (2019), SEPARATION AND PURIFICATION TECHNOLOGY, 211, 602–609. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.seppur.2018.10.018
- A new approach to modeling liquid intrusion in hydrophobic fibrous membranes with heterogeneous wettabilities
- Moghadam, A., Jamali, M., Venkateshan, D. G., Tafreshi, H. V., & Pourdeyhimi, B. (2018), In COLLOIDS AND SURFACES A-PHYSICOCHEMICAL AND ENGINEERING ASPECTS (Vol. 558, pp. 154–163).
- Droplet Mobility on Hydrophobic Fibrous Coatings Comprising Orthogonal Fibers
- Jamali, M., Tafreshi, H. V., & Pourdeyhimi, B. (2018), LANGMUIR, 34(41), 12488–12499. https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.langmuir.8b02810
- Effects of electrospinning conditions on microstructural properties of polystyrene fibrous materials
- Yousefi, S. H., Venkateshan, D. G., Tang, C., Tafreshi, H. V., & Pourdeyhimi, B. (2018), JOURNAL OF APPLIED PHYSICS, 124(23). https://doi.org/10.1063/1.5049128
- Electrospun mat of poly(vinyl alcohol)/graphene oxide for superior electrolyte performance
- Pan, Q., Tong, N. J., He, N. F., Liu, Y. X., Shim, E. Y., Pourdeyhimi, B., & Gao, W. (2018), ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces, 10(9), 7927–7934. https://doi.org/10.1021/acsami.7b14498
- Point-bonded polymer nonwovens and their rupture in stretching
- Zhang, W. S., Staszel, C., Yarin, A. L., Shim, E., & Pourdeyhimi, B. (2018), Polymer, 146, 209–221. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.polymer.2018.05.024
- Polymer adhesion in heat-treated nonwovens
- Staszel, C., Yarin, A. L., & Pourdeyhimi, B. (2018), Journal of Applied Polymer Science, 135(15). https://doi.org/10.1002/app.46165
- Adhesion of blended polymer films
- Staszel, C., Sinha-Ray, S., Yarin, A. L., & Pourdeyhimi, B. (2017), Polymer, 112, 92–101. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.polymer.2017.01.066
- Creation and evaluation of new porcine model for investigation of treatments of surgical site infection
- Mohiti-Asli, M., Risselada, M., Jacob, M., Pourdeyhimi, B., & Loboa, E. G. (2017), Tissue Engineering. Part C, Methods, 23(11), 795–803. https://doi.org/10.1089/ten.tec.2017.0024
- Dynamic adsorption of ammonia: Apparatus, testing conditions, and adsorption capacities
- Amid, H., Maze, B., Flickinger, M. C., & Pourdeyhimi, B. (2017), Measurement Science & Technology, 28(5). https://doi.org/10.1088/1361-6501/aa6236
- The Fiber Society
- The Textile Institute (U.K.)
- - Microscopy & Image Analysis , Fall
- - Nonwovens Products and Processes , Fall
- - Fiber Science , Fall