Associate Dean for Industry Research and Extension
William A. Klopman Distinguished Professor
Executive Director, NWI
The Nonwovens Institute
- Office: Center for Technology and Inno 120
- Phone: 919-515-1822
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website: thenonwovensinstitute.com/about-nwi/our-team
About Behnam Pourdeyhimi
Dr. Behnam Pourdeyhimi joined NC State immediately after completing his Ph.D. at the University of Leeds in 1982. Soon, he left for other opportunities, Cornell (2 years), University of Maryland (11 years), and Georgia Tech (4 years) before returning to NC State in 1998-199 Academic year.
Behnam is the William A. Klopman Distinguished Professor of Materials in the Wilson College of Textiles at NC State University and is also an adjunct professor in the departments of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering and Biomedical Engineering. He also serves as Associate Dean in the Wilson College of Textiles and is the Executive Director of The Nonwovens Institute.
Early in his career, he focused on the development of tools for characterizing various materials including nonwovens, medical devices, composite materials, etc. For this body of work, he received the ASTM D-13 Dewitt Smith Medal. In particular, his work on image analysis won him the Fiber Society Distinguished Scientist award in 1994. He also was selected as the Fiber Society Lecturer where he traveled broadly to present his work to industry and academia. He later served also as the vice president, and the president of the Fiber Society.
He is best known for his contributions to nonwovens and establishment and the growth of nonwovens at NC State. His work in the area of filtration won him the O’ Max Gardner award in 2015 (The Highest award by the University of North Carolina System), and in 2018, he received The Holladay Medal for Excellence (The highest faculty award bestowed by NC State University). In 2020, Behnam was inducted into the National Academy of Inventors as a Fellow.
He joined NC State in part to take on a leadership role in the Nonwovens Cooperative Research Center (NCRC). Under his vision, the center morphed into the Nonwovens Institute (NWI). NWI is the largest university-based research institute in the nation across all disciplines. Today, NWI is the world’s first accredited academic program for the interdisciplinary field of engineered fabrics. Operating on an “Open Innovation” platform, the Nonwovens Institute engages experts from industry and higher education in building next-generation nonwoven applications while also providing training and guidance to the field’s future leaders.
He has published several books and monographs, over 375 refereed journal articles, and over 250 conference presentations. He is the recipient of The Fiber Society Young Distinguished Achievement Award (1994) and Fellowship of the Textile Institute (1994). He served as the President of the Fiber Society in 1995. His students have won several awards, including the Fiber Society Best Paper award and the INTC Best Paper Ward.
Dr. Pourdeyhimi’s research interests are in the area of nonwovens, biomaterials, modeling, image analysis, and filtration. His expertise is recognized by major corporations and leading research bodies around the world. He has acted as a consultant to many bodies and major Corporations.
- PhD. Textiles, The University of Leeds, United Kingdom, 1982
- Dual-Responsive Microgels for Structural Repair and Recovery of Nonwoven Membranes for Liquid Filtration
- Ramesh, S., Davis, J., Roros, A., Eiben, J., Fabiani, T., Smith, R., … Menegatti, S. (2021), ACS Applied Polymer Materials. https://doi.org/10.1021/acsapm.0c01360
- Constitutive modeling of polymers accounting for their hyperelasticity, plasticity, creep and viscoelastic relaxation
- Yarin, A. L., Sankaran, A., An, S., & Pourdeyhimi, B. (2020), Polymer Testing, 85, 106444. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.polymertesting.2020.106444
- Durability of Disposable N95 Mask Material When Exposed to Improvised Ozone Gas Disinfection
- Dennis, R., Pourdeyhimi, B., Cashion, A., Emanuel, S., & Hubbard, D. (2020), The Journal of Science and Medicine, 2(1). https://doi.org/10.37714/JOSAM.V2I1.37
- Heat Induced Grafting of Poly(glycidyl methacrylate) on Polybutylene Terephthalate Nonwovens for Bioseparations
- Heller, M., Li, Q., Esinhart, K., Pourdeyhimi, B., Boi, C., & Carbonell, R. G. (2020), Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research, 59(12), 5371–5380. https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.iecr.9b04936
- High-Throughput Manufacture of 3D Fiber Scaffolds for Regenerative Medicine
- Shirwaiker, R. A., Fisher, M. B., Anderson, B., Schuchard, K. G., Warren, P. B., Maze, B., … Pourdeyhimi, B. (2020), TISSUE ENGINEERING PART C-METHODS, 26(7), 364–374. https://doi.org/10.1089/ten.tec.2020.0098
- Modeling of spunbond formation process of polymer nonwovens
- Chen, K., Ghosal, A., Yarin, A. L., & Pourdeyhimi, B. (2020), Polymer, 187, 121902. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.polymer.2019.121902
- Mutual Sliding Motion of Wrapped Filaments for Biomedical and Engineering Applications
- Li, G., Pourdeyhimi, B., & Yarin, A. L. (2020), LANGMUIR, 36(16), 4357–4369. https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.langmuir.0c00446
- New Approaches to Improve Translation of Fiber-based Scaffold Approaches
- Fisher, M. B., Warren, P., Davis, Z., Schuchard, K., Anderson, B., Grondin, P., … Pourdeyhimi, B. (2020). , . Presented at the Cellular and Molecular Bioengineering Conference (CMBE), Rio Mar, Puerto Rico.
- Photodynamic Coatings on Polymer Microfibers for Pathogen Inactivation: Effects of Application Method and Composition
- Peddinti, B. S. T., Morales-Gagnon, N., Pourdeyhimi, B., Scholle, F., Spontak, R. J., & Ghiladi, R. A. (2020), ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces, 13(1), 155–163. https://doi.org/10.1021/acsami.0c16953
- Prediction of crystallinity of spunbond webs
- Chen, K., Yarin, A. L., & Pourdeyhimi, B. (2020), Journal of Applied Physics, 128(20), 205101. https://doi.org/10.1063/5.0029358
- The Fiber Society
- The Textile Institute (U.K.)
- - Microscopy & Image Analysis , Fall
- - Nonwovens Products and Processes , Fall
- - Fiber Science , Fall