About Roger Barker
Roger L. Barker is a Professor in the Department of Textile Engineering, Chemistry and Science at North Carolina State University and Director of TPACC. He is internationally recognized for his work in the field of thermal protective clothing and comfort and heat stress in clothing systems. Barker has published many technical papers on the subject of the effects of intense heat exposures on fabric materials including exposures to flash fire, molten metal, hot surface contact and radiant energy. He was Chairman of the 1984 ASTM International Symposium on the Performance of Protective Clothing. He is an active participant in several committees of the National Fire Protection Association, which are involved in the development of standards for the performance of protective clothing. Barker holds B. S. and M. S. Degrees in physics from the University of Tennessee and a Ph.D., in Textile and Polymer Science from Clemson University. He has positions at Cornell and at Clemson Universities. His industrial experience includes work as a physicist in spun bonded fabrics research.
Thermal protective performance of textile fabrics and clothing, heat transfer mechanisms in intense heat exposures. Fabric and clothing flammability, materials response and testing methodologies.
Comfort properties of textile clothing and materials, heat and moisture transfer in textile structures, objective measurement of fabric hand.
Industrial analysis of thermal and mechanical properties of textile fabrics. Textile measurement technologies, instrumented manikins. Assessment of human sensory and physiological response to clothing comfort.
- B.S. Physics, University of Tennessee,
- M.S. Physics, University of Tennessee,
- Ph.D. Textile and Polymer Science, Clemson University,
- Relationship between novel design modifications and heat stress relief in structural firefighters' protective clothing
- McQuerry, M., Barker, R., & DenHartog, E. (2018), Applied Ergonomics, 70, 260-268.
- Functional design and evaluation of structural firefighter turnout suits for improved thermal comfort: Thermal manikin and physiological modeling
- McQuerry, M., Barker, R., & DenHartog, E. (2018), Clothing and Textiles Research Journal, 36(3), 165-179.
- Effect of self-contained breathing apparatus (SCBA) on heat loss in structural firefighter turnout suits
- McQuerry, M., DenHartog, E., & Barker, R. (2017), AATCC Journal of Research, 4(5), 1-5.
- Measuring the effects of structural turnout suits on firefighter range of motion and comfort
- Ciesielska-Wrobel, I., DenHartog, E., & Barker, R. (2017), Ergonomics, 60(7), 997-1007.
- Evaluating turnout composite layering strategies for reducing thermal burden in structural firefighter protective clothing systems
- McQuerry, M., DenHartog, E., & Barker, R. (2017), Textile Research Journal, 87(10), 1217-1225.
- Comparative studies on standard and new test methods for evaluating the effects of structural firefighting gloves on hand dexterity
- Barker, R. L., Ross, K. A., Andrews, J., & Deaton, A. S. (2017), Textile Research Journal, 87(3), 270-284.
- Garment ventilation strategies for improving heat loss in structural firefighter clothing ensembles
- McQuerry, M., DenHartog, E., & Barker, R. (2016), AATCC Journal of Research, 3(3), 9-14.
- Alternative methodologies for determining the impact of clothing ventilation in structural firefighter turnout suits
- McQuerry, M., DenHartog, E., Barker, R., & Hummel, A. (2016), In American society for testing and materials special technical. (ASTM Special Technical Publication, 1593) (pp. 313-330).
- Comparisons of two test methods for evaluating the radiant protective performance of wildland firefighter protective clothing materials
- Hummel, A., Watson, K., & Barker, R. (2016), In American society for testing and materials special technical. (ASTM Special Technical Publication, 1593) (pp. 178-194).
- Advanced layering system and design for the increased thermal protection of wildland fire shelters
- Nagavalli, A., Hummel, A., Akyildiz, H. I., Morton-Aslanis, J., & Barker, R. (2016), In American society for testing and materials special technical. (ASTM Special Technical Publication, 1593) (pp. 102-116).
- National Fire Protection Association
- TMS 211 - Introduction to Fiber Science ,
- TMS 471 - Textile Materials Design ,
- TE530 - Functional Textiles Protection and Comfort ,