Andre West is main role is the Director of Zeis Textiles Extention. ZTE mission is to serve a diverse customer base to advance economic development through collaborative partnerships and outreach, innovative textile and quality improvement education, and comprehensive textile prototyping and testing services.
Before coming to NC State, Andre was with The Art Institute of Fort Lauderdale as the Director of the Fashion Department. During his 10 years there, he launched the Bachelors in Fashion Design, the Bachelors in Fashion Merchandising, a Diploma in Fashion Retailing as well as redesigning the Fashion Merchandising and Fashion Design programs for all the Art Institute schools.
He is very familiar with Gerber technology, knitwear technology, textile and embroidery machinery, dye sublimation and screen-printing software as well as Adobe design products.
His dissertation involved the use of virtual world education in fashion and virtual garment design.
He has about thirty years of fashion industry background from small to large design and manufacturing ventures, including owning a vertical knitwear manufacturing business and retailing his own products.
Currently, he is working on vector control fabrics using Wholegarment knitwear, body scanning, and conductive knitting of yarns for military development.
- Fabrics and Garments for Insect Vector Protection
- Advance Knitting Construction
- Computerized Whole Garment Knitwear
- 3-D Body Scanning
- Aromatherapy/Essential oil-infused garments for health and well-being
- Greater Good Textile Group Faculty Liason
- Southern Textiles Association
- International Textile and Apparel Association
- Luan, K., Kirkwood, E., Newman, Z., West, A., & DenHartog, E. (2022). New insight into flexural
rigidity of multi-filaments yarn. Textile Research Journal. https://doi.org/10.1177/00405175221114655
- Li, J., Xia, S., West, A. J., & Istook, C. L. (2022). A 2d image body measurement system developed
with neural networks and a color-coded measurement garment. International Journal of Clothing Science and Technology. https://doi.org/10.1108/IJCST-08-2021-0114
- Cave, G. L., West, A. J., McCord, M. G., Koene, B., Beck, J. B., Deguenon, J. M., Luan, K. & Roe, R.
M. (2022). Novel 3-D spacer textiles to protect crops from insect infestation and that enhance plant
growth. Agriculture. 12, 498. https://doi.org/10.3390/agriculture12040498
- Li, J., Xia, S., West, A. J., & Istook, C. L. (2022). Fashionable sportswear working as a body
measurement collecting tool. International Journal of Clothing Science and Technology.
- Luan K., West A. J., McCord M. G., DenHartog E. A., Shi Q., Bettermann I., Li J., Travanty N. V.,
Mitchell R. D., Cave G. L., Strider J. B., Wang Y., Neumann F., Beck T., Apperson C. S., & Roe R. M.
(2021). Mosquito-textile physics: A mathematical roadmap to insecticide-free, bite-proof clothing for
everyday life. Insects. 12(7), 636. https://doi.org/10.3390/insects12070636
- Deshpande, M. V., West, A. J., Bernacki, S. H., Luan, K., & King, M. W. (2020). Poly (ε-caprolactone)
resorbable auxetic designed knitted scaffolds for craniofacial skeletal muscle regeneration.
Bioengineering. 7, 134. https://doi.org/10.3390/bioengineering7040134
- Luan, K., West, A., DenHartog, E., & McCord, M. (2020). Auxetic deformation of the weft-knitted
miura-ori fold. Textile Research Journal. 90(5-6), 617-630. https://doi.org/10.1177/0040517519877468
- Mouhamadou, C. S., Luan, K., Fodjo, B. K., West, A. J., McCord, M. G., Apperson, C. S., & Roe, R.
M. (2020). Development of an insecticide-free trapping bednet to control mosquitoes and
manage resistance in malaria vector control: A new way of thinking. Insects. 11, 732.
- Halbkat, L., Luan, K., Cave, G., McCord, M. G., Roe, M. R., DenHartog, E., Apperson, C. S., & West,
A. J. (2019). Novel method for infusing fabric with a botanical repellent for protection against
mosquitoes. Journal of the Textile Institute https://doi.org/10.1080/00405000.2019.1603576
- West, A. J., Istook, C. L., Porterfield, A. J., & Ghosh, T. K. (2017). A service-learning collaborative to
build a sustainable enterprise for underprivileged women (SEuW). Journal of Textile Design Research
and Practice. 5(1), 3-16. https://doi.org/10.1080/20511787.2017.1362144
- Chen J., West, A. J., Cheng, K., & King, M. A. (2017). Biodegradable knitted cardiac patch for
myocardium regeneration using cardiosphere-derived cells (CDCs). Journal of Donghua University.
(Eng. Ed.), 34(2).
- West, A. J., & Annett-Hitchcock, K. E. (2016). The process of development of an herb-infused bag that
regenerates aromatherapy textiles. The International Journal of Designed Objects. 5(2) ,17-30.
- Ph.D. Co-Chair Jiayin Li “The Evaluation of a 2D Measuring Garment for Accuracy in a Size Range and Customer Acceptance” Completed 2020
- Ph.D. Co-Chair Sibei Xia “Predict 3D body measurements with 2D images” Completed 2018
- M.S. Chair Zoe Newman The impact of the introduction of hemp fiber into more sustainable knit footwear structures Completed 2020
- M.S. Co-Chair Jacqueline Sewell Addressing the Feasibility of Moving an Existing Cut and Sew Combat Shirt to Seamless Knitting Completed 2019
- M.S. Chair Lilah Halbkat “From Academic Research to Product Commercialization: Analyzing Academic Entrepreneurship in the Textile and Apparel Industry” Completed 2019
- MS Chair – Ashley Gabel, “Methodology for the Implementation of 3D Technologies in the Improvement of Athletic Wear” Completed 2015
- MS Co-Chair Carly Mick, “The Effects of Digital Printers and Cutters on the Value Stream of United States, Textile Based, and Manufacturing” Completed 2015
Ed.D Organizational Leadership Argosy University 2012
MFA Visual Arts Miami International University of Art & Design 2009
BSc (hons) Degree with Honors Textiles Huddersfield University Huddersfield 1982
Area(s) of Expertise
3D Apparel CAD
3D Body Scanning
Functional Textile Design
- Research: 3D Apparel CAD
- Research: 3D Body Scanning
- Offices: Administration
- Research: Entrepreneurship
- Academics: Fashion and Textile Design
- Academics: Fashion and Textile Management: Fashion Development and Product Management
- Research: Fashion Design
- Research: Functional Textile Design
- Research: Knitting
- Research: Mass Customization
- Research: Medical Textiles
- Research: Performance Textiles
- Research: Product Development
- Academics: Textile and Apparel, Technology and Management
- Research: Textile Design
- Centers and Institutes: Zeis Textiles Extension