Director, Zeis Textiles Extension
Associate Professor, TATM
Fashion and Textile Design
Fashion and Textile Management: Fashion Development and Product Management
Textile and Apparel, Technology and Management
Zeis Textiles Extension
About Andre West
Andre West is main role is the Director of Zeis Textiles Extention. ZTE mission is to serve a diverse customer base to advance economic development through collaborative partnerships and outreach, innovative textile and quality improvement education, and comprehensive textile prototyping and testing services.
Before coming to NC State, Andre was with The Art Institute of Fort Lauderdale as the Director of the Fashion Department. During his 10 years there, he launched the Bachelors in Fashion Design, the Bachelors in Fashion Merchandising, a Diploma in Fashion Retailing as well as redesigning the Fashion Merchandising and Fashion Design programs for all the Art Institute schools.
He is very familiar with Gerber technology, knitwear technology, textile and embroidery machinery, dye sublimation and screen-printing software as well as Adobe design products.
His dissertation involved the use of virtual world education in fashion and virtual garment design.
He has about thirty years of fashion industry background from small to large design and manufacturing ventures including owning a vertical knitwear manufacturing business and retailing his own products.
Currently, he is working on vector control fabrics using Wholegarment knitwear, body scanning, and conductive knitting of yarns for military development.
- Fashion in a Virtual World
- Digital printing, Whole garment printing
- Computerized whole garment knitwear
- 3-D Body Scanning
- Aromatherapy/Essential oil infused garments for health and well-being
- Ed.D Organizational Leadership, Argosy University, 2012
- MFA Visual Arts, Miami International University of Art & Design, 2009
- BSc (hons) Degree with Honors Textiles, Huddersfield University Huddersfield, 1982
- Greater Good Textile Group Faculty Liason
- International Textile and Apparel Association
- Design Principles & Practices
- FTD 215 - Fashion Design I ,
- FTD 216 - Fashion Design II ,
- FTM 317 - Computer Aided Design (CAD) For Fashion ,
- FTM 400 - Major Fashion Designers ,
- FTD 104 - Fashion and Textile Design First year studio I ,
- FTM 491 - 400: Portfolio Development ,
- TT591 (002) - Special Studies in Textile Technology: Weft and Warp Knitting ,
- FTM 497 - Senior Fashion Collection Studio ,
- Luan, K., West, A., DenHartog, E., & McCord, M. (2019). Auxetic deformation of the weft-knitted Miura-ori fold. Textile Research Journal. https://doi.org/10.1177/0040517519877468
- Halbkat, L. Luan, K. Cave, G. McCord, M.G Roe, M. R. DenHartog, E. Apperson, C. S. & West, A. J. (2019). Novel method for infusing fabric with a botanical repellent for protection against mosquitoes Journal of the Textile Institute https://doi.org/10.1080/00405000.2019.1603576
- West, A. J., Istook, C. L., Porterfield, A. J., & Ghosh, T. K. (2017). A service-learning collaborative to build a sustainable enterprise for underprivileged women (SEuW). Journal of Textile Design
- West, A. J., Gabel, A . (2014). 3D Body Scanning for improved sample fit and Accuracy in Garment design. 5th international conference on 3D body scanning technologies.
- West, A. J. Carroll K. E. (2014). A Critical Review of Aroma Therapeutic Applications for Textiles. JTATM , 9 (1) , 1-13.
- Gabel A. West A. J. (2014). Athletic sizing based on Performance. 5th international conference on 3D body scanning technologies Lugano, Switzerland.
- West, A.J. (2014). Shimmer Pleat. ITTA Annual Conference Charlotte N.C. .
- Chair – Ashley Gabel, completed 2015
“Methodology for the Implementation of 3D Technologies in the Improvement of Athletic Wear”
- Co-Chair Carly Mick, completed 2015
“The Effects of Digital Printers and Cutters on the Value Stream of United States, Textile Based, and Manufacturing”
- Chair – Ashley Gabel, completed 2015