Dr. Jin’s research interests center on fashion brands’ internationalization, branding, consumers and retailing in emerging markets, and innovative business model. Her research interests have expanded to innovation and competitiveness of small- and medium-sized enterprises and revitalization of the U.S. textile and apparel industry. She has secured approximately $1.6 million in grants from prestigious sponsors such as the U.S. Department of Agriculture, the U.S. Department of Education and the National Research Foundation of Korea. She has published more than 129 refereed papers in a wide range of top-tier journals across diverse relevant disciplines and has received numerous best research paper awards at professional conferences. In addition, she has published two books and four edited books for the series of Global Fashion Brand Management for which she serves co-series editor.
In addition to research excellence, Dr. Jin displays a deep devotion to teaching. Her commitment to rigor and quality in instruction is demonstrated in the recognition and success of her graduate advisees, many of whom have received awards for their research at both the master’s and doctoral levels. She has advised 63 graduate students as either major advisor or committee member. The 12 Ph.D. advisees all secured assistant professor positions in the U.S., Korea and Taiwan. In 2009, she received the Outstanding Graduate Faculty Mentor Award from Oklahoma State University.
Dr. Jin actively shares her expertise with the global textiles and apparel industry. Through funded projects in her specialty area of international apparel management, she has had opportunities to visit and work with industry executives and scholars throughout Europe and Asia and provide consulting services and workshops for them. She’s also been the keynote speaker at academic conferences and spoken at numerous lectures and seminars at different universities across the globe.
Her unique contribution to the discipline is well recognized through several awards. She received the Distinguished Scholar Award in 2019 and Prentice Hall Lecturer Award in 2007 from International Textiles and Apparel association (ITAA), research excellence award from the University of North Carolina at Greensboro in 2014 and from Oklahoma State University in 2008, and teaching excellence award from Yonsei University, Seoul, Korea, in 2001.
She is presently President Elect at ITAA, an advisory board member for the Korea Chamber of Commerce and Industry, and co-editor- in- Chief for Fashion & Textiles. Prior to coming to the North Carolina State University, Dr. Jin served at the University of North Carolina at Greensboro and Oklahoma State University. She served a visiting scholar at University of Macerata, Italy in 2016.
- Post Doctorate International Retailing, Michigan State University,
- A.A.S. Fashion Design, Fashion Institute of Technology,
- Ph.D. Clothing and Textiles, Yonsei University,
- M.S. Clothing and Textiles, Yonsei University,
- B.S. Clothing and Textiles, Yonsei University,
- Understanding apparel brand evolution patterns in Bangladesh: an industry life cycle perspective
- Bari, M. S., & Jin, B. E. (2021), Journal of Fashion Marketing and Management: An International Journal, ahead-of-print(ahead-of-print). https://doi.org/10.1108/JFMM-06-2020-0118
- Addressing the contamination issue in collaborative consumption of fashion: does ownership type of shared goods matter?
- Kim, N. L., & Jin, B. E. (2020), Journal of Fashion Marketing and Management: An International Journal. https://doi.org/10.1108/JFMM-11-2019-0265
- Brand and retailer co-branding
- Childs, M., & Jin, B. E. (2020), Journal of Fashion Marketing and Management: An International Journal, ahead-of-print(ahead-of-print). https://doi.org/10.1108/JFMM-03-2019-0061
- Changing the game to compete: Innovations in the fashion retail industry from the disruptive business model
- Jin, B. E., & Shin, D. C. (2020), Business Horizons, 63(3), 301–311. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bushor.2020.01.004
- Does effective cost transparency increase price fairness? An analysis of apparel brand strategies
- Jung, S., Cho, H. J., & Jin, B. E. (2020), JOURNAL OF BRAND MANAGEMENT. https://doi.org/10.1057/s41262-020-00191-w
- How far can brands go to defend themselves? The extent of negative publicity impact on proactive consumer behaviors and brand equity
- Woo, H., Jung, S., & Jin, B. E. (2020), Business Ethics: A European Review, 9. https://doi.org/10.1111/beer.12246
- Retailer-brand collaborations: testing key strategies to increase consumers' urgency to buy
- Childs, M., & Jin, B. E. (2020), INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF RETAIL & DISTRIBUTION MANAGEMENT. https://doi.org/10.1108/IJRDM-06-2019-0199
- The role of Korean prototypical brand image in shaping country image and quality evaluations: a cross-cultural examination
- Jin, B. E., Yang, H., & Kim, N. L. (2020), Journal of Fashion Marketing and Management: An International Journal. https://doi.org/10.1108/JFMM-10-2019-0232
- Why buy new when one can share? Exploring collaborative consumption motivations for consumer goods
- Kim, N. L., & Jin, B. E. (2020), International Journal of Consumer Studies, 11. https://doi.org/10.1111/ijcs.12551
- Does the direction of offshoring matter? Comparison of downward and upward offshoring strategies in changing consumers’ brand perception by brand tiers
- Woo, H., Jin, B. “E., & Papadopoulos, N. (2019), The Journal of The Textile Institute, 9, 1–13. https://doi.org/10.1080/00405000.2019.1662875
- Korean Firms' Market Entry and Global Management Strategies in Malaysia and Indonesia: Focusing on Consumer Goods SMEs and Startups
- National Research Foundation of Korea(3/01/19 - 12/31/20)
- International Textile and Apparel Association (ITAA) - President-Elect
- Korean Distribution Association - Member, Board of Directors
- Fashion & Textiles - Co Editor-in-Chief
- The Korea Chamber of Commerce and Industry, Seoul, Korea - Advisory Board Member
- TTM 585 - Market Research in Textiles ,
- FTM 382 - Intermediate Textile Brand Management and Marketing ,
- FTM 482 - Advanced Brand Management and Marketing in Textiles ,
- - ,