Dr. Jin’s research interests center on fashion brands’ internationalization, branding, consumers and retailing in emerging markets, and cross-cultural consumer and retail studies. Her research interests have expanded to innovation and competitiveness of small- and medium-sized enterprises and revitalization of the U.S. textile and apparel industry. She has secured approximately $1.3 million in grants from prestigious sponsors such as the U.S. Department of Agriculture, the U.S. Department of Education and the National Research Foundation of Korea. She has published more than 115 refereed papers in a wide range of top-tier journals across diverse relevant disciplines and has received numerous best research paper awards at professional conferences. In addition, she has published two books and three edited books for the series of Global Fashion Brand Management for which she serves co-series editor.
In addition to research excellence, Dr. Jin displays a deep devotion to teaching. Her commitment to rigor and quality in instruction is demonstrated in the recognition and success of her graduate advisees, many of whom have received awards for their research at both the master’s and doctoral levels. She has advised 63 graduate students as either major advisor or committee member including 13 doctoral students. The 11 Ph.D. advisees all secured assistant professor positions in the U.S., Korea and Taiwan. In 2009, she received the Outstanding Graduate Faculty Mentor Award from Oklahoma State University.
Dr. Jin actively shares her expertise with the global textiles and apparel industry. Through funded projects in her specialty area of international apparel management, she has had opportunities to visit and work with industry executives and scholars throughout Europe and Asia and provide consulting services and workshops for them. She’s also been the keynote speaker at academic conferences and spoken at numerous lectures and seminars at different universities across the globe.
Her unique contribution to the discipline is well recognized through several awards. She received the Prentice Hall Lecturer Award in 2007 from International Textiles and Apparel association (ITAA), research excellence award from the University of North Carolina at Greensboro in 2014 and from Oklahoma State University in 2008, and teaching excellence award from Yonsei University, Seoul, Korea, in 2001.
She is presently Vice President Planning at ITAA, an advisory board member for the Korea Chamber of Commerce and Industry, and an associate editor for Clothing and Textiles Research Journal and Fashion & Textiles. Prior to coming to the North Carolina State University, Dr. Jin served at the University of North Carolina at Greensboro and Oklahoma State University. She served a visiting scholar at University of Macerata, Italy in 2016.
- Post Doctorate International Retailing, Michigan State University,
- A.A.S. Fashion Design, Fashion Institute of Technology,
- Ph.D. Clothing and Textiles, Yonsei University,
- M.S. Clothing and Textiles, Yonsei University,
- B.S. Clothing and Textiles, Yonsei University,
- The temporal effects of social and business networks on international performance of South Korean SMEs
- Jeong, S. W., Jin, B. E., & Jung, S. (2019), Asia Pacific Journal of Marketing and Logistics, 3. https://doi.org/10.1108/apjml-08-2018-0326
- Process innovation in the global fashion industry
- Jin, B., & Cedrola, E. (Eds.). (2019). , (Vol. 4). New York, NY: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Process innovation: Hidden secret to success and efficiency
- Jin, B., Cedroda, E., & Kim, N. (2019), In B. Jin & E. Cedrola (Eds.), Process innovation in the global fashion industry. New York, NY: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Colombian consumers’ outshopping of apparel in the U.S
- Ceballos, L. M., Jin, B., & Ortega, A. M. (2018), International Review of Retail, Distribution and Consumer Research, 8(2), 137–156. https://doi.org/10.1080/09593969.2017.1364656
- Differential effects of macro and micro country images by product category and by country among Saudi consumers
- Jin, B., Almousa, M., Yang, H., & Kim, N. (2018), Management Decision, 56(8), 1663–1681. https://doi.org/10.1108/MD-10-2016-0751
- Dimensional effects of Korean SMEs’ entrepreneurial orientation on internationalization and performance: The mediating role of marketing capability
- Jin, B., Jung, S., & Jeong, S. W. (2018), International Entrepreneurship and Management Journal, 14(1), 195–215. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11365-017-0457-4
- Entry market choices and post-entry growth patterns among born globals in consumer goods sectors
- Jin, B., Chung, J.-E., Yang, H., & Jeong, S. W. (2018), International Marketing Review, 36(6), 958–980. https://doi.org/10.1108/IMR-11-2015-0243
- Examining the role of international entrepreneurial orientation, domestic market competition, and technological and marketing capabilities on SME’s export performance
- Jin, B., & Cho, H. J. (2018), Journal of Business and Industrial Marketing, 33(5), 585–598. https://doi.org/10.1108/JBIM-02-2017-0043
- Identifying sources and roles of networks in international expansion among small businesses in a less-technology-intensive industry
- Jin, B., Ramkumar, B., & Chou, H. C. (2018), International Journal of Entrepreneurship and Small Business, 34(4), 421–444. https://doi.org/10.1504/ijesb.2018.10014552
- Nike: An innovation journey
- Childs, M., & Jin, B. (2018), In B. Jin & E. Cedrola (Eds.), Product innovation in the global fashion industry (pp. 79–111). New York, NY: Palgrave Macmillan. https://doi.org/10.1057/978-1-137-52349-5_4
- International Textile and Apparel Association (ITAA) - Vice President of Planning
- Clothing & Textiles Research Journal - Associate Editor for International/ Retailing/Merchandising Management and Industry track
- Korean Distribution Association - Member, Board of Directors
- Fashion & Textiles - Associate Editor in Fashion Merchandising track
- The Korea Chamber of Commerce and Industry, Seoul, Korea - Advisory Board Member
- TTM 585 - Market Research in Textiles ,
- FTM 382 - Intermediate Textile Brand Management and Marketing ,
- - ,